Camera Advice

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by npdale, Jan 10, 2008.

1. npdale macrumors member

Hi Guys I know all of you will be the best to ask about this... i'm looking to get myself a DSLR after using my Dad's Canon 300D for sometime. I have between £400 and £600 to spend on it so... any suggestions please :)

Also looking for lens advice and has anyone heard anything about the web course on www.thephotographyinstitute.co.uk ??

Thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Please take a look at the 10-20 other threads in this forum asking the exact same question, most of them with a similar budget.

I'd say as you have access to some Canon EF lenses get a Canon EOS 400D.

3. 66217 Guest

well the ones I have used are the Nikon D40 and the Canon Rebel XTi, both are great cameras, I personally prefer Nikon, but both perform excellent.

The Pentax K100 has also recoeved good reviews. Me best advice would be to go to a store and try them.

What do you want to shoot?

4. gregjp48 macrumors regular

i'd get a canon or a nikon personally rather than a brand like Pentax or KM

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

If your dad shoots Canon, I think it makes sense for you to also get a Canon (assuming you see your dad a fair bit). Maybe you can coordinate lens purchases - build a combined library.

This is the same reason a couple of my friends bought Nikon cameras - so they can borrow my wide-angle lens mainly. :D

6. gregjp48 macrumors regular

I really really really agree with that
    Canon is an awesome brand (as is Nikon)
    I own a Canon myself, and it's a real plus if you and your dad have compatible lenses. You certainly won't have to worry about selection, anyway.

7. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

£600 would buy you a Canon 40d here. Assuming you will always have access to your dads lenses, that would be a good choice.

8. gregjp48 macrumors regular

by the sound of it he's not a serious photographer, so whatever the newest rebel is would suit him well too

remember, the lense matters more than the camera, so be prepared to splurge on a lense. The body matters less. The new rebels are better than my 20D except in terms of feel

9. buffalomike macrumors newbie

I hope you borrow some beer from them when they return the lens:D