Camera and Laptop bag advice

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by gidz, Jun 21, 2010.

1. gidz macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I am looking for a backpack type bag that can hold the following :-

new 17" macbook pro unibody in a Be. Ez Larobe sleeve
    1 x canon 5d mrk 2 body
    24-70mm L series lens
    70-200mm L series lens
    50mm macro
    Canon 580ex
    + have some spare space for other lenses / a spare body etc

I am trying to find something that as a bag does not weigh loads before you put anything in it, offers a decent level of protection and is available in the UK. Also if possible i do not want it do be too obviously a camera bag and maybe have wheels

At present I have found :-

http://www.worldofbags.co.uk/Crumpler-The-Big-Cheese-p-1375.html

Any advice would be appreciated especially if you actually own something this size and can tell me how portable it is when fully loaded.

2. gidz thread starter macrumors newbie

has anyone got Kata or Think tank bags out there that can tell me how good they are?

3. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I have the Kata R-103 and like it but I now need a bigger bag so I have been looking at the Kata HB-207. I can tell you this much, it's built like a tank and the term military grade nylon is true. I've had mine for about 1.5 years and it looks like new. Also you can buy extra "strips" of the dividers and cut them to fit which is nice to custom the inside to your needs. Now as for the area for a laptop, that may depend. I could fit a 15" in no problem and the sleeve area does have removable strip padding bars so it is possible to place a 17" in there if needed (this is on the R-103). From the www.kata-bags.com site the HB is bigger and some folks report being able to have 17" laptops fit just fine (not sure what you have). I don't think that the bag is heavy by itself but then again I'm built to some extent so even my 17" MBP is not even a thought carrying around. With that said, the bag handles my size just fine, 54" chest and folks have said that the HB series has better shoulder straps/padding/placement.
    Zippers are something I really don't see talked about much so fwiw the zippers handle really well and haven't lost anything in terms of wearing out and opening easy on their own. Nice and sturdy is close to an understatement for my bag.
    I can't think of much else to say so if you have anything specific let me know.

4. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

I don't know that particular bag; but I've purchased several Crumpler bags over the past four or five years and have always been extremely happy with them.

5. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

6. chrispholt macrumors regular

Cheddar, UK. Yes where the cheese comes from..
    Kata Is the way to go!

Hi,
    I have the Kata DR-467i and it is perfect on every way. I think it may fit a 17" mpb as the laptop compartment is huge.
    It is made to military standard, as Kata originated from making military bags for there country's army ( Israel)

I would stay clear away from the Lowe Pro and like makes as they are usually over priced and disappointing. They also look like camera bags so that means there is more chance of it being stolen.

My bag has a lot of space, unfortunately more in the top compartment than the camera area. However I bought protective case for things in the top compartment.

Anyway this bag may not be big enough for your needs but any Kata bag is a good bag I think.

I have in mine;
    Nikon D5000
    Kit lens 18-55
    55-200 lens
    Grip
    Large set of cokin filters and holder

all chargers and cable
    MPB 15"
    Manfrotto 785B
    Extensive lunch :p
    Weather guard
    And a lot more of space

All under lined stuff is in the camera compartment, however I have enough room for another lens there or my flash.

7. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

I own the Crumpler Karachi Outpost, their largest camera backpack at the time and love it. My Crumper holds, all detached and lens hoods reversed:

• Nikon D3s
      14-24mm
      24-70mm
      70-200mm
      2x SB-900

There is still room for another 24-70mm however I use it for accessories. The one thing I love about it is how comfortable the straps and back padding are. I have no problem caring it all day fully loaded. Super comfortable. That said, the sides are not square. They are more triangular, which while you can still fit a lens in, causes a bit if trouble with pro bodies. Just keep it in mind.

8. zipelius macrumors newbie

I use LowePro FastPack 350 when I'm at nature so I have place to camera and objects and other place to extra clothes and food :)

I also have Think Tank Streetwalker HardDrive when I'm traveling because there more room to my camera stuff. Streetwalker is too big to carry at city or beach whole day so I leave it to hotel and use small bag to camera and one object and maybe flash.

I think there is no one perfect camera bag. Sometimes I want carry much camera stuff with me and and sometimes not so I need many bags. I'm having more bags than girls soon :p

9. HBOC macrumors 68020

I also have the FastPack 350, and it is great. You can have your 5D+70-200 attached, the 24-70L, flash and another lens and it will be fine, plus you can have a 17" as well. I have a 15" and it swallows that thing. Great bag to boot.

I bought mine on ebay for $85 or something brand new, plus with 8% bing cash back, which ends at the end of July, sadly.

10. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

For carrying multiple bodies and lenses you can't beat the Kiboko from Gura Gear. Unfortunately it doesn't have a space for the laptop. With the laptop in a sleeve it is easy to hand carry - the camera bag goes in the overhead and the laptop under the seat in front of you.

I recently purchased the Kiboko for a trip to Guatemala and am very happy with the purchase. It is an expensive bag but when compared to 1000s of dollars that can be invested in glass and bodies it is a reasonable expense.

11. trjwv macrumors regular

I have ordered the Kata D-Light Bumblebee-210 Backpack (Black) from BH Photo for $135.00. I will let you know how I like it.

12. Nordichund macrumors 6502

13. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

Think Tank Photo bags are top notch, very well made and customer service is great. I haven't personally used any of their backpacks but have two of their rolling bags plus a belt system and laptop bag.
    http://www.thinktankphoto.com

14. funkboy macrumors regular

I have various Think Tank and Crumpler bags. Both are excellent. The Think Tank bags are obviously built by photographers, for photographers, and have a lot of features that are extremely useful.

Neither really look like photo bags, which was one of my primary motivators for replacing my Lowepro stuff with them (good bags too, those, but there's a "cool" factor to the Crumpler and a nice utilitarian comfort with the Think Tank). The Crumplers are a bit more stylish. I find the new Think Tank retrospective bags absolutely gorgeous as well.

Some of the Kata bags look very practical as well, but they look too much like photo bags for my taste.

15. Jason4 macrumors newbie

I have a very similar list of requirements and kit and I really wanted to pick up an f-stop Maverick for a 6 month trip to Europe but they are all sold out and will not have the replacement until the fall. It's a messenger style bag and doesn't scream "camera bag!" except for the brand name. For something that is a backpack and ready for some serious trekking/backcountry skiing/hiking their Tilopa or Satori would be better. I'm told that both will fit a 17" MBP and are available with a different size camera cubes to tailor the size to match your kit.

I was looking at something to fit:
    17" MBP
    Canon 7D
    EF-S 10-22
    24-70 f/2.8L
    70-200 f/4L non-IS
    1.4x TC
    430exII
    plus a hard drive while travelling.

16. T-Stex macrumors 6502

The Booq Python Blur should meet your needs, but it's a bit pricy. I love mine though.

17. scottkifnw macrumors regular

scottkifnw

another suggestion

Look into the tamrac aero bags.

These bags have the ability to attach a tripod which the Blur doesn't have. Build quality is excellent.

sek

18. trjwv macrumors regular

I have received the Kata D-Light Bumblebee-210 Backpack (Black) from BH Photo for $135.00. This bag is a new bag just released fron Kata. I have had it for a week now and like the bag very much. My 15" MBP fits great. I can also attach a tripod on the side. This is my first DSLR/Laptop backpack so I don't have alot of comparison but it is very comfortable.

19. Eaton Photos macrumors regular

I would go with the TT Urban Disguise 60: http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/productdetail.kmod?Productid=9754

I love Think Tank. I have quite a few of their bags/ gear, and the durability is downright wicked. Plus, the whole TT line-up, does not scream, expensive camera gear. ;) Also, TT Support is awesome + lifetime warranty, no matter how many times the bag is sold to another person. :D

Good luck with your search/ decision.

20. Z28Ken macrumors newbie

Amongst my "too many bags" (and I'm sure everyone here has that same problem ;) ), I use a ThinkTank Shapeshifter, which would easily carry the gear you listed.

Mine routinely is packed with two bodies (both can be gripped/pro size), 16-35/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8, two flashes with pocketwizards, 15" MBP, all sorts of accessories from card readers to iPhone, rocket blower, etc.

Carries comfortable and well and the bag is compact for all the stuff inside of it (admittedly, it's not heavily padded, but personally, this isn't a huge concern).

However, it will NOT (no matter what you try) carry a body with a lens mounted on it. It's great for transporting, but not with anything in ready to shoot mode.