Camera app = reboot

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by b0redom, May 15, 2008.

1. b0redom macrumors regular

Hi All,
    This evening, I tried to take a pic on my iphone and it complained about not having any space. I read somewhere that this is due to apps being installed in the OS space, so I installed SSH etc in order to move stuff around.

Now whenever I open the Camera app, the phone reboots.

I've tried restoring (using iTunes) several times, and resetting (using the home + lock keys) several times, but to no avail.

I've tried installing everything using ZIphone, and iLiberty+.
    I've tried only unlocking + jailbreaking.

The outcome is always the same, as soon as I open the camera app, I get the closed shutter, then the phone reboots itself.

I tried installing a couple of other apps, CameraPro and iShoot and exactly the same happens, the phone just reboots itself.

Any ideas?

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

3. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Have you restored to factory fresh? Does that make the camera app reboot?

4. b0redom thread starter macrumors regular

5. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

restore the firmware to itunes specifications. i dont know if you've just jailbroken it or if it is unlocked as well, but you basically want to restore using itunes so it's back to how it was the day you took it out of the box.

if the camera app works at that point, then you know you wiped out whatever corrupt file was causing problems. If it DOESN'T work at that point, you can take it to Apple and they'll replace/repair it.

6. b0redom thread starter macrumors regular

Tried doing that more than once, but still no joy. I can't really take the phone to Apple as it's never been activated on their price plan - unlocked. Any other ideas?

7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

So even in a pristine, locked to AT&T state, it doesnt work? Yikes. I am not much of an iphone tinkerer when it comes to software, but maybe someone can get you a new copy of the camera app? Something is obviously wrong, and from your description it sounds like software. I am just surprised that wiping the whole phone out and relocking it to AT&T with the most updated firmware didn't work.

Did you add your videos, music etc when you did that, or did you go right from restore to opening the app? If your issue is memory, maybe that's still a factor...at this point I am just throwing out troubleshooting ideas from years of fiddling with PDAs and smartphones, just trying to narrow down the cause. It's either hardware or software. A full wipe and replacement of all the software/firmware (which is what a restore does-this includes relocking it to AT&T), should eliminate whatever corrupted file is causing the camera app reboots. If that fails to fix it, it could be a hardware issue of some sort, which is a lot tougher to diagnose and correct.

8. b0redom thread starter macrumors regular

Well I'm in the UK, and the official carrier here is O2. I don't have an O2 sim, however, only a T-mobile one. I've restored it, and then used Ziphone/Liberty+ to unlock, and I still get the problem.

I don't understand why I'd need a new copy of the camera app. Surely the restore should fix that?

Update: It's started going to sleep after the 1 minute, and then needing me to hold down home+power to wake it up. Is there anyway I can completely blank everything on the phone and start from fresh? I was under the impression that restoring did that?

9. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Restoring should do that. I am not super familiar with unlocking as well, but maybe the unlock you used is restore proof? I think if you work backwards, undo the unlock, then relock to O2 and restore it again, that should do it. Basically, if your phone is still unlocked after a restore, the restore didn't take, I believe.

Like I said, I am not an expert, but I am just trying to throw out thoughts for you. It's kind of like on a pda, there's a "soft reset" that just does a gentle reboot, and then a "hard reset" which wipes out everything. You want to do the iPhone equivalent of a "hard reset" and start from scratch.

IIRC, you don't need an O2 sim to restore it. If you look at the specs on some of the unlock software out there, I believe at least a few of them allow you to replace the firmware with the original locked version...you might need to find someone more versed in this than me though, my knowledge comes from secondhand Macrumors threads.

10. b0redom thread starter macrumors regular

A restore relocks my phone. I've then been using Liberty+ to unlock it. This is most most frustrating.

11. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Ok, so thats why I was wondering if there was someplace you could get a hold of the camera app. It sounds like something is toasted in the app or the hardware, and if you replaced the app it might fix it. If not, then its a hardware issue and I don't have any ideas there...:(

12. b0redom thread starter macrumors regular

But I was under the impression that a restore overwrote the whole iPhone as if it were new? Do you think that it leaves the apps intact then?

13. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I assumed the restore did as well. but if your camera app is STILL rebooting, I am just wondering if maybe there's something that is NOT being overwritten.

Stranger things have happened. And since the alternative is that the hardware is hosed (which leaves you with a lot fewer options), I was just suggesting one last ditch effort to fix it.

If a full restore, no sync or adding of any data, totally empty iphone crashes its camera app, unfortunately it looks very likely that it is hardware. Since I don't know much about whether the restore affects the built-in apps, replacing the camera app specifically MIGHT fix it. Otherwise you might need to try to find a sympathetic Apple Store or some sort of 3rd party willing to poke around for a fee.

14. b0redom thread starter macrumors regular

Right, so this time - I reflashed with 1.1.4. Fired up ziphone, and ONLY selected unlock + activate. It seems a little more responsive.

When I fire up iTunes now, however, I see: Capacity 7.27GB, Used 183MB (Other).

There is no music and no photos on this, and there's no way I have anything like 183MB of contacts. Anyone have any idea how I can get rid of whatever the 183MB of junk is?

Cheers...

15. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

the 183mb is probably the OS. it takes up a chunk of space.

is the camera app working again?

16. b0redom thread starter macrumors regular

17. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Yikes...

So you are restoring via ziphone? Once you restore via ziphone, are you restoring via official apple updates as well?

If you are, and it still doesn't work, it sounds like it's hardware related in some way. No idea where to tell you to go from there, unless like I said you know a sympathetic Apple tech or a 3rd party place familiar with the iPhone.

18. b0redom thread starter macrumors regular

No, I'm restoring via iTunes, then unlocking via ziphone.

Any idea where I can get a copy of the camera app from and how I install it?

Cheers...

19. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Not sure where you'd get a copy of the camera app. But since all the iphone apps have been yanked off, I am sure the camera app can be yanked.

So after you restore in itunes, BEFORE you unlock, the camera app fails? That points to hardware.

20. b0redom thread starter macrumors regular

I've got no idea, as I said, I have a non-standard operator SIM, so I can't check what the status is before unlocking. :-/

21. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

<smacks head> Of course, I forgot that you wouldn't be able to access the phone without activation of some sort. Duh.

Ok, try this: Can you use one of the fake activation hacks to just get into the phone before you unlock it? I am just trying to help you make sure there's not a bug in the unlock that's causing the camera app issue, because a software issue is a lot easier to fix than a hardware one.

If all of this fails though, it looks like something hosed your camera, or the camera app is just unfixable. :(:(:(

22. b0redom thread starter macrumors regular

Fake activation hacks? Do you have some more information on that? Link perhaps?

23. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Try Hackintosh Forums

That's the home of the iPhone dev team, the people who spit out jailbreaks and various unlocks through the last 9 months or so.

Like I said, I'm not super familiar with hacks and 3rd party stuff on an iPhone, but I've done enough PDA troubleshooting that we've pretty much walked through all the "identify the software bug" steps. I would try the hackint0sh people for some tips, and possibly they might have another software idea to try.

Sorry i couldn't solve it! Let me know if you come up with a solution and good luck!

24. gardnerv macrumors member

gardnerv

Your all thinking of this as a result of jail breaking. It could be a problem with the camera. If i am correct then then voltage is supplied to the camera upon activation of the app. Maybe there is a short circuit in your camera which could be caused by any number of things like water or impact. If i am correct then you will have to bring it back to apple to have it repaired.

25. fgailly macrumors newbie

Same problem

Hi,

I have the same problem and I also think it is a hardware problem because I have tried everything.

Do you know if it is possible to send an iphone back to apple which has not been activated because I am living in belgium and it is impossible for me to activate the iphone.

Thanks