iPhone 11 Pro Camera app slower than iPhone X. Not enough RAM?

FooArk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
I understand the new phone has more features in the camera app, but it takes an extra 1-2 seconds to switch to the front facing camera, switching through the different modes, etc. when compared to my iPhone X running on iOS 13.

Is this because it only has 4GB of RAM?

Reactions: Inspector60

dms_91

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2016
Negative. It’s strictly software. iOS 13 isn’t polished up yet. 13.1 coming Tuesday should improve things.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
I’m on 13.1 and it’s still kind of slow. I’ve also noticed it takes an extra 1-2 seconds for the picture to finish processing to show up in your pictures on the bottom left of the camera. I’m a bit confused why it’s so slow, didn’t really notice it on my 8 Plus.

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
I’m on 13.1 and it’s still kind of slow. I’ve also noticed it takes an extra 1-2 seconds for the picture to finish processing to show up in your pictures on the bottom left of the camera. I’m a bit confused why it’s so slow, didn’t really notice it on my 8 Plus.
This only happens in low light as its processing multiple images...watch the display, you will see a yellow indicator showing the processing time estimate based on the lighting. You can disable this in settings and it will work like previous phones

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
This only happens in low light as its processing multiple images...watch the display, you will see a yellow indicator showing the processing time estimate based on the lighting. You can disable this in settings and it will work like previous phones
Nope it’s happening outside of that too. Try it on a TV with some action going on, it seems pretty bad there.
Looks like it’s got to do with motion, I bet it’s just trying to stitch together a better picture and the motion requires a bit longer to process. Regular pictures seem quicker.

broochie

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2019
I'm seeing the same thing on my iPhone 11 Pro. The camera startup time is slower by almost 3 seconds than iPhone X and iPhone Xs. This is a real bummer actually as many scenes don't last this long and I do hope they fix this immediately. I was worried that this is due to the additional wide camera they added, but am hopeful that it's really only a software issue.
- - Post merged: - -

Nope, this actually happens with all scenes and all conditions I've tried with.

carlos916

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Sacramento, CA
hope this fixes the front facing camera zoom twitching too.. try it on insta or snap, flip to front facing camera and zoom in and its just twitching vs a smooth transition compared to the rear camera :(

Protozo

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2017
With iOS 13.1 is also slower than iPhone X... i think that the 4gb of ram are not enough for the 3 cameras..

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
I'm seeing the same thing on my iPhone 11 Pro. The camera startup time is slower by almost 3 seconds than iPhone X and iPhone Xs. This is a real bummer actually as many scenes don't last this long and I do hope they fix this immediately. I was worried that this is due to the additional wide camera they added, but am hopeful that it's really only a software issue.

Nope, this actually happens with all scenes and all conditions I've tried with.
"camera startup time is slower by almost 3 seconds than iPhone X"
wtf? my camera starts up in less than a second...

are you on 13 or 13.1

try updating to 13.1

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
If I had to guess it’s an indexing issue. There are more cameras and the phone has to index the hardware. Should resolve itself with iOS 14.

FooArk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Reminds me of the iPhone 6 Plus. Apple released an underpowered phone that people complained about, then the 6S Plus finally gave it the power it deserved.

Seems like this is the same reoccurrence unfortunately

I have the same issue on my 11pro but also on the Xs Max. Both on iOS 13
My iPhone X is on iOS 13 and its faster.

Every app I compared to my iPhone 11 Pro, the iPhone 11PRO outperforms the iPhone X a lot in terms of opening speeds. But its only the camera app that lags behind.

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
It’s a software issue that’ll be addressed eventually. I’m on 13.1 B4 on my 11 Pro and the camera is definitely slow to start up compared to my XS on 13.1 B4, it’s a good 1-2 seconds slower.

FooArk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
It’s a software issue that’ll be addressed eventually. I’m on 13.1 B4 on my 11 Pro and the camera is definitely slow to start up compared to my XS on 13.1 B4, it’s a good 1-2 seconds slower.
What makes you so sure?

MrAperture

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
I just compared opening up the camera app on both my X and gf's 11 Pro and they are just about identical in app loading/camera focusing. I updated to iOS 13 Thursday and we set up her phone yesterday evening. Maybe it's just indexing?