Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluedesert

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2020
Miami Beach
Yeah and no. I actually bought my 13 Pro because of the camera first. I had a 12 before which was perfectly adequate and I wanted the incremental upgrade.
But were you ever considering a traditional camera? That's my point. If people are just looking at a mobile device for their camera needs, they weren't really in the market for a Sony RX100 in the first place. Maybe but it's still a different category that the article wasn't even mentioning, which is what I was telling OP.

poi ran

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2014
Scandinavia
The Samsung clearly has better (fake) bokeh, but from what I gather the IPhone delivers a more even user experience. I have Samsung galaxy s21 (worse camera than 22 ultra of course) and the automatic scenery is crap. Snow looks wrong, children moving indoors look fuzzy. This is due to software, in Pro mode I can make snow look like snow and set shutter speed so the kids are in focus and not the carpet or wall or furniture.

bluedesert

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2020
Miami Beach
I think you are wrong. What are the biggest phone upgrades and most talked about features? It's the camera. Other than the camera, there isn't much different with the latest phone and one that is 5 years old or more.
If the camera is the only thing making someone pull the trigger on a purchase, then they'd be looking at traditional ones. Otherwise, it's about the combination of things that a mobile device offers.

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
Smartphone cameras are still tiny little garbage cameras that only impress people who are used to taking crappy photos to put on social media sites. They in NO way can compare to traditional cameras with 1” type sensor (or larger). A Sony RX100 (any model number) will blow these garbage cameras out of the water, and the small Sony RX100 will still be as useful 10 or even 15 years down the road. If you want a small, pocketable camera get a traditional camera, don’t buy an overpriced smartphone with a garbage camera. I love my iPhone 13 Pro Max, and the cameras are improved over the older iPhone XR I had, but the cameras are not why I bought it. The smartphone cameras are a frigging joke compared to traditional cameras, and they are difficult to use and the image quality is a D- at best. It is like comparing an old standard definition TV set to a 4K HDR TV, there is no comparison other than “crap” versus “good”.
Bitter much?

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Smartphone cameras are still tiny little garbage cameras that only impress people who are used to taking crappy photos to put on social media sites. They in NO way can compare to traditional cameras with 1” type sensor (or larger).

Before the smartphone with the tiny little garbage cameras, as you put it, most people bought a tiny little garbage traditional camera, still didn't compare to larger professional devices but they took the images people wanted and everyone was happy enough with the quality they got.

I mean you call the images crappy as if everyone should appreciate the difference between a $500 smartphone and a $5000 DSLR. What you can take in an instant with a smartphone exceeds the expectations of most.

There is an elitist photography forum for you over there >>>

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
But were you ever considering a traditional camera? That's my point. If people are just looking at a mobile device for their camera needs, they weren't really in the market for a Sony RX100 in the first place. Maybe but it's still a different category that the article wasn't even mentioning, which is what I was telling OP.
Yes I was looking at a mid-range DSLR at the time and decided to go with the 13 Pro.

• Haha
Reactions: bossfan61 and miq

Neil Harrison

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2020
Before the smartphone with the tiny little garbage cameras, as you put it, most people bought a tiny little garbage traditional camera, still didn't compare to larger professional devices but they took the images people wanted and everyone was happy enough with the quality they got.

I mean you call the images crappy as if everyone should appreciate the difference between a $500 smartphone and a $5000 DSLR. What you can take in an instant with a smartphone exceeds the expectations of most.

There is an elitist photography forum for you over there >>>
I bought a DSLR but never use it, just take pics with my iPhone 13pro.......Mainly cos the little garbage phone camera fits in my pocket !!

bluedesert

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2020
Miami Beach
no people want the best possible camera in their pocket without needing to take a professional camera
You're proving my point. Pocketability is one of the things that a mobile device offers.

Yes I was looking at a mid-range DSLR at the time and decided to go with the 13 Pro.
It's still a different category of device. Those comparing the two for a purchase either aren't sure what they want or are in the minority.

randomthoughts

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2020
Totally disagree with this. If you look at smart phone marketing, they totally are using the camera technology as leverage for the point of selling this to the consumer. This is one of the main reasons why consumers even upgrade the phone in the first place, is to have the latest camera. Look at any iPhone Keynote, you’ll see exactly what I’m talking about.

I would love a phone without a camera. Problem is, it’s not an option on a smartphone to go without.

bLackjackj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
These comparisons irritate me! Whats the point in comparing last years 2021 iPhone to this years 2022 Samsung???

Wait 6 months for the iPhone 14 and compare that to this years S22! Make it a fair and valid comparison.

• Disagree
  • Haha
Reactions: NightFlight and miq

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Wait 6 months for the iPhone 14 and compare that to this years S22! Make it a fair and valid comparison.

Really makes no difference, the improvements at this point are too minor for the masses to even notice. They both take great photos, and so will the next model, iPhone or Samsung.

• Disagree
Reactions: bLackjackj

applicious84

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2020
"These people"?

I disagree with you wholeheartedly. I'm quite certain EVERYone understands that dedicated cameras with bigger sensors are able to take better pictures. That wasn't something that was discussed in this post. The post is simply comparing two of the most popular smartphones and THEIR cameras, not a comparison between them and dedicated camera rigs.

Literally nobody in the post, nor in any of the comments offered the opinion that smartphone cameras are superior to dedicated cameras. But "these people will never understand this", right?
You people?

nastysailboat

Cancelled
May 7, 2021
So for the price it‘s quite good, or it competes with a dslr in the $3000 range? Which one is it? ;)
(It doesn‘t compete with dslrs in the $3000 range, and it doesn‘t need to)
I honestly think the iPhone takes just as good of photos and videos as a $3000 dslr. That’s my opinion don’t know why people are getting so butt hurt about it.

TheSapient

macrumors regular
May 26, 2017
These comparisons irritate me! Whats the point in comparing last years 2021 iPhone to this years 2022 Samsung???

Lol. Either way you have a new phone compared to one half a year old. And your WILL have that comparison when the iPhone 14 drops.

Reactions: LeeW

bluedesert

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2020
Miami Beach
I honestly think the iPhone takes just as good of photos and videos as a $3000 dslr. That’s my opinion don’t know why people are getting so butt hurt about it.
Tell me you've never really used a $3000 dslr without telling me you've never really used a $3000 dslr. Not sure why you think people disagreeing with you means that they're butthurt.

miq

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2020

Salty fanboy detected. Absolute rubbish logic. Right now we’re comparing a new Samsung to a six month old iPhone, if we wait for the 14 it’s comparing a new iPhone to a six month old Samsung. Think before you post.

leonremi

macrumors member
May 12, 2017
Smartphone cameras are still tiny little garbage cameras that only impress people who are used to taking crappy photos to put on social media sites. They in NO way can compare to traditional cameras with 1” type sensor (or larger). A Sony RX100 (any model number) will blow these garbage cameras out of the water, and the small Sony RX100 will still be as useful 10 or even 15 years down the road. If you want a small, pocketable camera get a traditional camera, don’t buy an overpriced smartphone with a garbage camera. I love my iPhone 13 Pro Max, and the cameras are improved over the older iPhone XR I had, but the cameras are not why I bought it. The smartphone cameras are a frigging joke compared to traditional cameras, and they are difficult to use and the image quality is a D- at best. It is like comparing an old standard definition TV set to a 4K HDR TV, there is no comparison other than “crap” versus “good”.
The best camera is the one you have with you.

Your comment is honestly rather beside the point.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY

100% agree with you. You will get slammed for this, but you are absolutely right. These people unfortunately will never understand this. It is too big of a bubble to burst.
I'll preface this by saying that I agree with both of you. As someone who has a proper mirrorless camera and multi-lens setup there is just no substitute between a smartphone sensor, no matter how good the computational photography algorithms are.

But there is one area where I'll vehemently disagree - the out of camera experience. Until cameras catch up in the arena of computational photography smartphones will always produce better images out of camera (from a dynamic range perspective) than traditional cameras by virtue of their built in HDR processes. Sure, you can get the same effect by shooting raw and adjusting shadows and highlights in post processing, but why bother with that when the phone's algorithms will do that for you? This is why phones have effectively replaced point and shoot cameras while the DSLR and mirrorless market for professional and creative photographers remain strong. There's room for both!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.