Camera connected directly to router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by annk, Jun 4, 2012.

1. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

My father is bed-ridden and not able to be left alone for many minutes at a time. He lives at home, and my mom is dependent on someone watching him in order to run errands etc.

I would like to be able to help her out long distance occasionally. She usually hires in a nurse, but it's a hassle for her and since I sit in front of my computer most of the time anyway I thought one of these simple webcam surveillance things that plugs directly into a router would do the trick. She could let me know when she wants me to log into the camera, and I can give her a quick call on her cell if it looks like he needs help with something (small town, she can be back in a matter of a few mins if needed).

I've done some searches on Amazon, but feel like I don't know what I should be looking for. Ideally, it should be:

• Wired (so my mom doesn't have to fool with a wireless router that needs to be restarted occasionally);
    • No computer interface needed (she has an old iMac, but it's on 10.4 and she can't handle anything technical at this point).

Has anyone had a set-up like this, and if so, do you have a recommendation?

My budget is up to about $200 if need be, but doesn't have to be fancy. It would be mounted in one place, pointed at the hospital bed he's in most of the time.

I should add that this would be done with my dad's blessing. He's mentally intact, but not able to use a phone to call for help.

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I believe the apple store sells a camera that provides a live feed to an iPhone via an application. The camera is around $149 if I can remember. If this sounds good I can look into it

3. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Why don't you get something that works both ways? :)

If not, check out axis m1011. It can do what you want and can also be powered over ethernet, eliminating lots of wires coming out of the camera. :)

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

D-Link used to make a set of internet cameras with a web server built in.

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

annk,
    I have found 2:
    iBaby
    Smart baby

iBaby is also available on the apple store although the link was not working.
    One is $200 and the other is $300

6. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Wow, thanks for the fast answers! :)

ibaby looks perfect, as long as it's not dependent on the computer system in the house it's placed in. As I say, my mom can't handle more technical stuff at this point, so I have to be able to set it up this summer and have it "just work".

I downloaded the pdf instructions, and it looks like it plugs directly into the modem, which is great. But the camera also has an antennae on the back, and I wonder why. :confused: I would assume the video signal goes directly via the ethernet connection, since it's plugged into the moden.

The axis also looks interesting, but I can't tell if it can be used on a wired connection.

I'll spend some more time looking at these, and any other suggestions that come in. But this is a great start. :cool:

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

It can be set up to use either a wired or a wireless connection or both if you so choose. The PDF manual states that it will first try connecting via the wired, and if that should fail than the wireless connection if both are used. A wired connection is required to set it up initially if you are going to use Wi-Fi strictly, then it can be disconnected after it is set up.

If by axis you mean the tilt controls, I believe those are available wether you use wired or wireless.

8. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Ah, good.

I mean a model called axis, mentioned in this post. :)

9. skorpien macrumors 68020

My apologies, I merely skimmed the previous messages. According to the install guide, it seems that it is designed to be used with a wired connection, although there is also an option to purchase a wirelessly enabled unit.

Edit: Looking at the product page, there's a comparison chart at the bottom. It seems that the specific model that was mentioned (the M1011) doesn't support power over Ethernet, but the M1054 does:
    http://www.axis.com/products/m10_series/

10. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Thank you for the links. It looks like I'll be able to use the axis or the ibaby. I'm going to get whichever I choose set up sometime before July 10th, so I'll post some feedback here when I see how it works. :cool: