Camera Connection Kit "Cannot Use Device"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sekazi, Mar 16, 2012.

1. sekazi macrumors 6502

I bought the camera connection kit for my iPad 3 and whenever I use my Sony Card Reader using the USB adapter I get

Cannot Use Device
    The connected USB device requires too much power.

How is this possible when it is just a reader. I do not want to have to use my USB cable to import photos from my Sony camera.

Any work arounds?

2. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I was hoping perhaps with the larger battery they might allow more power to be drawn. Guess not =(

I have no idea on how to fix it. I had heard there was a jailbreak tweak to allow more power being worked on but Im not sure it was released and I cant find anything about it with a quick search.

Is this the first iPad you are trying it on? If it worked on the 1/2 i have no idea, but otherwise I assume the same readers that work on 1/2 will work on 3 so I'd do some google searching for lists of ones that work and see if you can find one cheap. The power limit is very low, most of my usb sticks don't work.

3. sekazi thread starter macrumors 6502

From random searches around it appears this issue happened after the 4.2.1 update.

This is my first iPad. How can a simple reader use too much power? It does not even have any lights on it.

Does anyone have any readers that works on the iPad and has a MS Duo XG slot on it.

4. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

You will need a powered USB hub in order to use something that "requires power"

5. master-ceo, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

iDOTConnect All-in-1 usb 2.0 Reader/Writer

I bought it at Fry's a couple years ago. It even has a compact flash port.

Attached Files:

6. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Hmm. They better fix this issue, I use the Connection Kit on the road. I'll be bummed if it stops working...