Camera Cover

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phaedarus, Apr 2, 2011.

1. phaedarus macrumors regular

I'm not by any means a fan of web cams nor have I any intention of utilizing one anytime soon.

I'm working under the assumption that the face time camera cannot be physically disabled (without damaging it anyway) so while I await the Ivy Bridge model that's due for the next refresh, I'm curious to know if the MBP packages include a camera cover.

If not, any recommendations for a third party solution that involves more than simply taping a penny to the camera lens?

2. iMackPro macrumors 6502

why dont you just not use it? its not like you can see it unless youre trying to look at it. im sorry im just not quite understanding why youre wanting to do this

3. scupking macrumors 6502a

+1 there is no need for a camera cover. Just don't use it.

4. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

Are you paranoid someone will be able to remotely turn it on and see you? Just leave it alone. Pretend it's not there.

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Some corporate offices and government facilities won't let anything with a camera lens inside. While this may or may not apply to the OP, it goes to show that there certainly are situations where the ability to permanently disable cameras could be necessary.

6. grazykid macrumors newbie

7. patorioto macrumors member

if it's not permanent can't you just tape something in front of it? I don't know if they actually make camera covers specifically for the macbook.

8. phaedarus thread starter macrumors regular

This.

One can't completely dismiss the possibility that the camera can be activated through either human error (such as accidentally hitting the video conference button on MSN) or due to the laptop being compromised in some way.

I suppose I'll have to use a band-aid solution for now; though I'm surprised a cap of sorts isn't included.

Apparently all manufacturers seem to be operating under the assumption that the end user of their products have an unflinching desire to make his or her private data public in the social media world that we live in.

9. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Why don't you figure out what kext is running the camera hardware and move it somewhere?

You could also just cut a small square of gaffer tape and cover it. It'll be barely noticeable and gaffer (not duct) tape leaves no residue.

John

10. phaedarus thread starter macrumors regular

I'll check out the gaffer tape.

Thanks.

11. kierennyc macrumors regular

Even if it is some how compromised, you'll know you're being watched - the camera CANT turn on without the green LED being activated. Its hard-wired.