iPhone X Camera detail in low light

tripleh3lix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Comparing with my 8 plus, or even iPad Pro 10.5. The camera on the XS Max in low light seems to smooth out the photo a lot more to the point the camera looks like it has beauty filter in lower light on your face.

Not sure why they did this, as the camera always looked fantastic in low light and sharp and you can still see pores. Only thing I’m upset about, otherwise... portrait mode is quite a bit better. Maybe they had to smooth it out to get portrait selfies in lower light without the blur messing up?

First photo is the XS max. Second is iPad Pro 10.5 - both photos HDR off and in natural quality.

Attachments

Last edited:

tripleh3lix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Do you have Smart HDR on? Try it without.
Tried both! Same result. Notice it takes pictures faster as well, so as a result you have to have a very steady hand to take them or else they’ll blur easier. But it’s really the only big issue I’m having with the phone.

I’ve posted photos above to show the difference. Also checked out a few friends old selfies that also got the XS, and compared them in the same state that have taken a low light picture on their 7 Plus — I see that same sorta beauty filter on the newer phones. I’m sure most people wouldn’t mind it, but I feel like the phone should be sharper. Not blurrier.

Last edited:

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
I noticed this too. Selfie camera handles lighting so much better but also seems to smooth out your face, like a filter with less detail.

tripleh3lix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
I noticed this too. Selfie camera handles lighting so much better but also seems to smooth out your face, like a filter with less detail.
Yeah, not sure why! I’m thinking it has to do with smoothing out some of the image for the Portrait Lighting? Less fine details, better Portrait Lighting. I’ve noticed 85 percent of them are pretty much perfect on the front cam, where it was very difficult to do without the proper lighting on the X (and it always had trouble around hairs cause the image was finer and less filtered).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.