Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbskywarn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Hello everyone. I'm pretty new to the forum. I record high-definiton videos of our town meetings live with a Canon Vixia HV30 HDV camera via a Firewire connection to my MacBook running OS X 10.5.8. The file format I choose when importing is "large", not HD. Everything usually goes ok, but last night I ran into a snag. For some reason, I forgot to plug the external power cord into the camcorder. About an hour and a half into recording our Town Council meeting, the camera died and the import window closed down.

The event that I named was there, however the source video was not listed. I found the video 16.21 GB in size in the events folder but it will not open with Quicktime, iMovie, and about 30 different players that I've rushed to download in the last few hours. After doing some research I learned that with the camera shutting down while Importing without hitting the "Stop" button first, iMovie kind of forgot to write either the "end-of-file" info into the video or the "header" or "index" (not sure what it's called with this specific video).

The video is obviously there...it's titled with the clip-date, time, etc in the .MOV format, but I cannot seem to locate anything that would be able to read the video and write just the "end-of-file" segment to make the video viewable. Under "Get Info" for the file, it shows 16.21 GB on disk but nothing for Dimension or Duration. I remember encountering the same problem over a year ago and I was able to find someone who had written a tiny program that read the video file and fixed the end that was designed specifically for iMovie imports (not a converter). If anyone can explain to me how to fix this or point me in the right direction, you would be a lifesaver! I've searched google for hours with no luck.:apple:

cbskywarn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Still No Luck

I'm still unable to figure out how to recover my video. Even slight suggestions that may or may not work...at least it gives me a chance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.