iPhone X Camera discoloration or dirt

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jmausmuc, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Jmausmuc macrumors 6502

Jmausmuc

Hi,

Please look at the picture attached. This was taken with my iPhone X camera. You can clearly see a discoloration at the top of the picture.

I don’t know what caused this and looking at some older pictures I can’t seem to find the discoloration. It seems like it just appeared out of nowhere. I am very careful with my phone and have it in a case all the time and never dropped it or exposed it to water.

Cleaning the camera did not help.

Is there anything I can go besides go to the Apple store?
    Has anyone else had this issue?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2018 ---
    Atrachment

Attached Files:

2. anubis1980 macrumors 6502

3. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

4. Extoll macrumors member

Extoll

That's a dust spot. Guess only apple could fix that if it's not on the side of part of the lens

5. PBz macrumors 68000

PBz

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

This! If it were on the lens it would not be as nearly defined, looks like debris on the sensor itself. Coming from years of using a DSLR, it is a bummer that you can not get to it in the iPhone.

I see a lot of these type camera threads, who ever puts the camera modules together for Apple needs to do some serious house cleaning! To much debris, hair and whatever in the camera module!

7. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

The only thing Apple can do is replace your iPhone for you. They don't repair specifically under the camera lens cover for dirt or debris. Which you Would likely be looking at a warranty replacement if your over 14 days from your purchase.

8. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Bear in mind, unlike the kind of imaging sensor in an SLR, these chips are miniscule. That will be the tiniest piece of debris - invisible to the eye.

9. Newtons Apple, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018

Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It could be a piece of dust or spiddle from someone coughing at the factor. No doubt the sensor is small but hearing too many post with hair and other debris in the camera module.

10. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Looking on here, I take back what I said. Didn't realise there was an epidemic of bad camera modules.

11. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Oh that brings back so many bad memories. I went through 2 iPhone 4S's and -5- iPhone 5's (heh) because of that exact issue (Apple apologizing and saying they had never seen something like that before each time). It's actually why I went to Android during the 5S year. Camera is important to me and I literally could not get an iPhone that wouldn't take pictures like that.

Haven't had it since I came back since the 6, but go to Apple, they'll replace it ASAP. Just show them the picture. I agree with Newtons Apple, wherever Apple assembles the cameras needs a good cleaning.

12. Jmausmuc thread starter macrumors 6502

Jmausmuc

Got it replaced.

They actually only wanted to replace the camera module and have me come back later to pick it up so I had to have an argument with the store manager to convince them to do a full swap.

I find this a very bad experience because this is already the second time I had to replace my iPhone X (first time loose screen).

I already regret buying this expensive phone. I expected much better quality control for this price.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

There is always Criag's List or eBay.

These things happen, even to brand new devices.

14. Jmausmuc thread starter macrumors 6502

Jmausmuc

My 6S has multiple issues, now my X is starting out even worse.

I see you don’t like it when apple is criticized but this was just a bad experience and since I have always been a big Apple fan I see how (in my opinion) my entire experience with the brand has been getting worse and worse over the last years.

15. REvoque81 macrumors newbie

So this just appeared on my camera for my IPhone X. I’ve had mine since it came out and did not but the Apple Care...would they still replace it?! I’ve never had an issue with my iPhones in the past.

Attached Files:

16. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I do not like or dislike it. I am simply stating that if you dislike it, sell it and get what you like! Some people have had bad experiences with Apple, I have also, but I am at the point with all working well together that Android is not an option. New phones can have issues just like your 6S

17. orev macrumors 6502

You don't need Apple Care to get something covered under warranty. If the camera manufacturing is so poor that it lets in dust that degrades the picture like this under normal operation, then that is a warranty/defect.

18. Jmausmuc thread starter macrumors 6502

Jmausmuc

No. As I said I had always been an Apple fan and kind of still am. I don’t want to switch to Android. If i wanted to switch i wound not be complaining in this forum. I want it to be like in the old days when my iPhones just worked (even years later after passing them on to family).

I remember my 3G and 4, both were passed down to family and worked for a total of 4 years until they were replaced. My 6 only worked for 2.5 years and my 6S was throttled after just one year.

Still great phones wen new but the durability seems to have decreased (at least for me).

19. PBz macrumors 68000

PBz

I used a 6S Plus up until the launch of the 8 and in no way felt it was throttled.

20. Jmausmuc thread starter macrumors 6502

Jmausmuc

Good for you but many peoples were.

21. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I have to agree that quality control, from what I read here, has dropped a bit, for sure. I have to be very lucky as I have never had a serious problem with any of my iPhone for years. The 3G and 4 were great phones, I had them both.

I hope you get it worked out.