Camera doesn't mount to desktop/sidebar???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Topher15, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

When I plug in my camera (it's a Canon Ixus 40) I do not get a mounted icon on the desktop or Finder sidebar. I don't use iPhoto but can access and download the photos with Image Capture and/or the camera's software. Should I be seeing a mounted icon in Finder? I can't safely unmount it otherwise.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No, it should not mount as a drive and you don't need to unmount it, just switch it off and unplug it.

There are 2 or 3 commonly used protocols for communicating with cameras. Some cause the camera to mount, others don't. Almost every Canon doesn't.

3. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I believe that if you really wanted to you could mount it with Disk Utility.

4. Topher15 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers I'll try that.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'm fairly certain you can't. The device does not appear to be a mountable disk to the system. As such Disk Utility won't even show it as a device to try and mount.

6. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Sony Cybershot Mounts

For the record, my Sony Cybershot does mount on the desktop when it is plugged in. I use Iphoto and the Iphoto starts up automagically and offers to import the new photos.

I like it! Then I usually drag and drop all the photo files from the mounted camera to the NAS for backup purposes before cleaning them off the camera.