camera/external device software help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spacka, Jul 2, 2008.

1. spacka macrumors member

ok heres my problem:

recently got an iMac and i regularly take my digital camera out and take photos etc.

on windows i was in a healthy routine and liked the way things went when importing photos to my pc.

obviously i'd install the driver for my digital cameras and also the free software that would come with it. however, i rarely used the software because i just couldnt get used to them.

what i usually did was use either:

- windows scanner/camera wizard - basically easy to use came up with a location where you wanted to save your pics and then gave you the option to delete them

- after a while i just started to go into the drive itself (as camera appeared as a removable disk) and copy and paste the photos into a location on my pc. again, i could delete any photos i wanted.

so basically my problem with mac is that:

- cameras dont appear as removable disks

- there is no built-in software to let me import and/or delete photos from the camera that i am aware of.

the software that i currently use (fujifilm finepix viewer) is automatically the default software which runs when i insert any camera device and quite frankyl i just dont like it. all it does is imports my photos into Documents\0608_2008\ (or something similar) and once its done i dont even have the option to delete my photos.

so yeah, any suggestions/tips/links to apps that might help, will be greatly appreciated. cheers

and apologies if this is in the wrong section.

2. spacka thread starter macrumors member

3. spacka thread starter macrumors member

4. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

First, get rid of the fuji software. Second, don't worry about it appearing as a removable disk.

Third, I have to ask, while you have been using your Mac, have you been living under a rock because you never mentioned iPhoto?

It came free with your mac and it will do everything you need and more. You can fully import, selectively import, edit, share, burn, etc... all from within iPhoto.

Not to mention the way it manages your photos is completely brilliant and you can tag each one or each event.

Give it a shot.

the " **** you all then" comment was less then necessary. Just try iPhoto before you complain about it being easier on Windows.

If you bought your Mac secondhand, and for some reason it didn't have iPhoto on it (part of the iLife suite) you can buy iLife here.

5. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

Insulting others won't get you any reply. Just because no one replied to your post does not give you the right to insult everyone.

Like agentphish said, you can use iPhoto. But if you don't have iPhoto, you can always use Image Capture (in Applications folder). You can change the preferences so that Image Capture opens every time you plug your camera.

One thing I don't understand is that a lot of users expect Mac OS X to behave like Windows (or similar to Windows). How can two different systems be identical? We have five fingers in each hand, and none of them is the same as the others.

6. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

well said.

Besides, provided you're TRYING and doing it properly, iPhoto is VASTLY superior to anything on Windows.

Picasa is the only thing I've seen as an aftermarket Windows program that comes close.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Looks like it did though and even from you. 3 people so far have given advice. I would never give an answer after that response.

8. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

LOL!

9. spacka thread starter macrumors member

10. seanofford macrumors member

Picasa is MUCH BETTER than iPhoto because of the way its file organisation is based on the folders a user puts the photos into and the way it sorts itself out if a user moves photos around on the HD. iPhoto just can't cope if you mess with the original file locations.

...and yes I am a confirmed Mac user and hate Windows etc.

I really REALLY hope Picasa is released for OSX this year, as the rumour in January suggested...

Sean

11. spacka thread starter macrumors member

this is exactly my problem. i want t be able to move photos wherever i want them, and also delete them from the camera without having to do it manually on the device itself.

12. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

charming

13. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

I had to reorganize my photo folders when I moved to iLife 08. I much prefer iPhoto 06 way of organizing pictures. I used to save my pictures chronologically. A folder for the year, a subfolder for each month, and a subfolder for each "event." iPhoto 08 create an event for each folder/subfolder. Now each of my folder picture is named like this: "2008 07 12 Trip to xxx." This forces Finder to sort them from earliest event to latest.

Also, I chose to import the references only in iPhoto, because I have an exact copy of my Picture folder on an external drive, which is shared with my Windows computer.

So my workflow:
    1. Download pictures using Image Capture
    2. Duplicate the photos. The first set is my "digital negatives."
    3. Edit second set using Photoshop Elements.
    4. Import editted pictures (references) into iPhoto.