Camera filters and maintain original resolution

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by bigeuan, Sep 16, 2013.

1. bigeuan macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I have a 6mb photo that when I apply the noir filter to it will only be available as a 900k file size. Is there a way to apply the filter to the original and maintain the same quality as I would like to print it out quite large after applying the filter. Many thanks.

2. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

I assumed this was a bug in the betas. It appears to only capture at 1MP when using filters. That is total crap. Didn't plan on using filters anyway.

3. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Edited photos in iOS take on the size of the screen rather than the original resolution of the photo.

4. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

OMG, what an eff up. :mad:

Thanks for the heads-up though, I'll have to remember NOT to edit any photos until they fix this! :eek:

5. ominx macrumors 6502

Edited photos maintain the original file. If you use a 3rd party app like PhotoSync to transfer your photos to your computer, only the original is available. I'm not sure where the actual edited file is saved, but it does not overwrite the original photo.

6. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

But why would an edited file be saved as a reduced size image? This didn't occur in iOS 6 AFAIK.

7. bigeuan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone, glad it just wasn't me! Seems like a huge oversight, I would like to make use of the filters and print my images out but not if it's going to automatically resize them to the screen resolution, at least give me the choice.

8. Damolee macrumors 6502

It's a "feature".

Only the 5S has the power to apply filters to full resolution images.

Now pass me the Appleaid.