Camera for kids - Input required

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by VanMac, Nov 22, 2010.

1. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hey All.

I'm thinking of getting a camera for one (or both) of my daughters for Christmas.

The are 11 and 13 years old. They have a lot of fun taking pictures with my older SD550, and taking little video clips.

They are pretty proficient with technology now, and are getting into downloading images/movies to the mac, and starting to play around with iPhoto and iMovie.

I know they would like a camera of their own, and I would do so to encourage their education in this area.

So, any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

Couple of requirements are:

* Prefer Canon
    * not too big
    * not too expensive
    * not too complicated
    * does pics and videos
    * some advanced features for tinkering and learning

Thanks in advance.

2. mlblacy, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010

mlblacy macrumors 6502

Hard to go wrong with an ELPH

Small, and easy to carry. Fits in pocket or purse (which relates to "the best camera is the one you always have with you"). We have had 3 or 4 of them ourselves, had given them as gifts, and recommended them to lots of folks. Usually fairly easy to use too with decent image quality. I usually buy from Amazon, but check the prices and deals. Be wary of some of the camera stores, as a few are bait and switch experts.

Check out Animoto online, they can make their own, really cool, slideshows. Although unfortunately most of the photos are just for Facebook these days. If they develop an interest in photography, Flickr has groups for young shooters, and is a great place to see some of the outstanding creativity being turned out. Be aware that some of the images on Flickr may not be age appropriate, but you may be able to filter that.

Michael

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I know you want something canon but Olympus makes some that are shock-proof incase they should drop it.

4. Pikemann Urge macrumors 6502

The base model DSLRs from the major players tend to be small and inexpensive. I usually recommend Pentax in this category, partly because they take AA cells, partly for lens compatibility etc.

IMHO there's no point handicapping a beginner, child or not. Compacts are usually for people who want to take photos as opposed to people who want to be photographers. If that makes any sense. All cameras are beginners' or professional cameras, and if that means an old 2Mpx compact (if nothing else is available) so be it.

5. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Confirming:
    not too complicated = no removable lens?
    not too big = big is relative, is a SLR with fixed lens acceptable?
    does pics and videos = your MUST, 99% does that nowdays
    some advanced features = RAW capture? That seems good for growth/learning the PP stuff

6. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

7. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

Canon 5D2 with 85/1.2 is what I gave my 4 year old. It's a little heavy but he likes it.

8. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

:eek: Want to adopt a big kid?! :D

9. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

A 13 year old can handle any camera a grown-up can handle.

I got myself a nice camera when I was 12.

I recommend the Canon t2i. Excellent sensor (same as 7D), shoots hd video.

If you want a Canon, that's a good choice.

You also get a free RAW converter that is so good many professionals use it.

You can go easy on lens buying, as the 18-55 (version 2) is a good lens for a kit lens. Later you might want to buy your kid a tele zoom or upgrade to the great 17-55/2.8.

Basically, you can buy the same camera for the younger kid as well. I don't think kids need shock proof cameras per se (depends on the kid), but many grown-up could need one.

The T2i can be used in full auto mode, and you have all the options to advanced use later. Get your kid a nice little book that explains exposure and how a sensor works and the relationship of opening and shutter speed.

Enjoy shooting.