Camera for my classroom

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Beach Guy, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Beach Guy macrumors member

I'm looking to purchase an HD camcorder to use in my classroom. Budget is a major concern. We create movies throughout the year and invite everyone in to see them the last week of school. We video during the day, but we also video a lot at night. Does anyone have any experience with the Canon Vixia HF R300 Full HD? This is currently priced at just under $300. Could anyone recommend an alternative? I use FCP X to edit the projects on my iMac. Looking for an easy workflow because I've only been using this program for a year. Thanks for any advice!!!

2. puckhead193, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012

puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I can't comment on that vixia but i've used another vixia and it was great. What kind of shooting would you be doing? The only complaint I have about mine is the low light for concerts/school plays can be iffy....
    Also note that it does record in AVCHD which FCP needs to transcode and the files are very large so think about an external drive. (you should be editing off an external drive anyway, FW800 at least)

edit - i checked and i have the HF200

3. Beach Guy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. We mostly write and then video scenes that take place in and around our elementary school. When we video at night, we use well lit areas and the video usually comes out pretty decent.

I believe this Vixia also records in mp4 format in addition to AVCHD. I don't currently use a separate drive for my media. Maybe something I can do in the future. I usually edit the project and then delete all of the video.

I do these projects because the kids get so much from the process...planning, writing, and then actually acting out the scenes. I'm really just looking for decent quality HD video. Thanks again!!

4. Beach Guy thread starter macrumors member

Any last minute camera recommendations...I'm gonna pick one up this weekend. Thanks!

5. daybreak macrumors 6502a

Yes play around with the camera before buying and ask questions and see what answers you get back.
    You really need a camera which has the power of a workhorse.
    Still good luck.:)