Camera Genius- alternative?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by globalist, Sep 26, 2010.

1. globalist macrumors 6502a

Hi I've been using Camera Genius on my previous 3GS but now that I have an iP4 I see this app is quite useless as it doesn't support the HDR and Flash onscreen toggles.

Is there a recommended alternative to Camera Genius for iP4, preferably free? I would mostly appreciate if it had the anti-shake feature and of course support for the abovementioned toggles.

Thanks!

2. iSkythe macrumors regular

iSkythe

You could check out my app, Camera Prime:

iTunes Link

Has Geotagging, antishake, support for both cameras, flash, timer, burst mode, sound capture, and more!

Just make sure you're running 4.1. There's a bug that prevents photos from saving on 4.0.x, but hopefully Apple will approve the update with the fix soon =/

3. globalist thread starter macrumors 6502a

Before I buy it, does your anti-shake work like in Camera Genius, i.e. you have a "shakiness" bar and the photo won't be taken unless the shakiness is really low?

4. iSkythe macrumors regular

iSkythe

Yes, it shows a bar, and when it is low enough it will take a picture. Here are some screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I would be happy to give it to you for free, as it's not your fault you bought an app that the developers would abandon :)

5. globalist thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh would you? That would be really nice. :)

Camera Genius was all the rage back in the day, who'd have thought the devs would not update it for iP4...

6. LifeInLoFi macrumors member

LifeInLoFi

I agree. Camera Prime is a good camera replacement app and very much what Camera Genius should be if development were maintained better. I'll be writing that in an upcoming review on my blog this week.

Another camera replacement app you should look at is Gorillacam -- currently the best free camera replacement in the app store, in my opinion. It doesn't support the onscreen flash or F/B camera toggles, though.

=M=

7. iSkythe macrumors regular

iSkythe

I PM'd you the code :)

And I know, it was one of the apps that inspired me to create my own camera app! It's sad to see it neglected.

8. amealy macrumors newbie

Does Camera Prime Support Direct Upload to Facebook?

Hi,

I have a friend who bought Camera Genius for its capability to upload photos to FB directly from the App, but is disappointed that it does not support HDR on her iPhone 4.

Does your App also support direct uploading to Facebook?

If you are still looking for Beta testers, I would love to receive a Code as well! :)

Thanks so much for your response!

Alan

9. LifeInLoFi macrumors member

LifeInLoFi

Apple hasn't opened up the quick and easy HDR API to developers yet. Basically, they're keeping that toy to themselves for now. None of the top all-in-one camera apps have the Apple HDR, including Camera+ and ProCamera

There are several real HDR apps available, but they are feature-limited compared to the all-in-one apps.

You might also look at Dynamic Light. It adds great looking, single exposure HDR. Also, the new Clarity function in Camera+ also adds contrast and High Dynamic Range, but not as much as Dynamic Light.

10. globalist thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm currently having issues with Camera Prime on my jailbroken iP4 (4.3.1). It was fine on jailbroken 4.1.

What it does it won't switch from camera to shooting mode and crashes quite often. I'm not sure whether it's the new iOS or the new jailbreak.

Anyone else with this?