Camera GPS on airplane mode

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by parkm13, Jun 20, 2013.

1. parkm13 macrumors regular

Hello,

I am going on a trip (today) out of country. I will need to keep my phone on airplane mode to avoid getting lots of charges. I just would like to know if when I take pictures in airplane mode will it still tag the location they were taken? I would love to look at the map that shows where all my pictures were taken. I have an iPhone 5 running iOS 7. Thanks in advance!

2. Mr-Kerrse macrumors 6502

If it's in airplane mode with gps/wifi etc turned off how could it possibly know where you are ?

As for charges i wouldnt worry the iphone won't connect to networks unless you tell it to :cool:

3. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

Thats what I was afraid of. Is there any way I can only have the GPS on?

4. Mr-Kerrse macrumors 6502

As i said your phone won't connect to networks unless you specifically tell it to so no need to have it in airplane mode but that also means no GPS unless you connect to wifi as far as i am aware.

5. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

I want airplane mode more for the battery savings. I am going up into the mountains of peru and will have limited, if any, access to electricity. This means that I need my phone to last as long as possible.

6. ckc macrumors regular

Just turn off cellular data, the only charges you will then incur are for phone calls you make or receive. GPS will still work.