Camera iPhone 8+ vs iPhone X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ArkieBiker, Sep 23, 2017.

1. ArkieBiker macrumors regular

ArkieBiker

Maybe it's been asked, but are the cameras in these phones EXACTLY the same? If there is a difference, what are they (besides horizontal vs vertical alignment on the phone).

2. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Exactly the same other than the front camera module that houses the IR sensor as well.

3. Lammy macrumors member

4. s0070cm, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

s0070cm macrumors newbie

They aren’t exactly the same. The zoom lens has OIS on the X and not on the 8+. Also, the wide angle lens has a slightly wider aperture. 1.7 vs 1.8 I believe.

**after further research, its the zoom lens that has the wider aperture. 2.8 on the 8+ And f2.4 on the X. The primary wide angle lens is identical.

5. ArkieBiker thread starter macrumors regular

ArkieBiker

OK, then this BEGS the question...I wonder how much difference there is in the VERTICAL alignment of the X vs the horizontal alignment of the 8 Plus.

Also...flash differences?

6. s0070cm macrumors newbie

I believe the vertical alignment has to do with the AR functionality that Apple is pushing. It may offer a benefit when using the phone in landscape mode. Or it could have been due to internal space and engineering requirements.

7. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

No flash differences. They both have the new slow sync flash feature.

8. rawCpoppa macrumors 6502

Anyone thinks the X could be a decent alternative to lugging around a DSLR with a prime lense all the time? The best camera is the one you carry with you all the time right? I can spend $1000 on a lense or on the X and I'm conflicted.

9. Sieve33 macrumors newbie

OP - the telephoto lens will perform better on the X when using optical zoom. OIS should make for sharper images where the 8+ will fall short.

10. ArkieBiker thread starter macrumors regular

ArkieBiker

I used to shoot professionally and still have most of my DSLR equipment (Canon 1D Mark III, and Canon 7D with white lenses). I still use the DSLR's for special occasions, but now most of my photography (I would say 90%) is done with my iPhone 7 Plus. In fact, I am currently working on a series of Veteran Portraits using nothing but my iPhone 7 Plus and a LED Panel light. So your comment "The best camera is the one you carry" is an accurate comment.

11. geekguy123 macrumors member

I was hoping Apple invented a technology that prevented users from taking video (and most pictures) in portrait orientation rather than landscape.

12. alleggerita macrumors 6502

alleggerita

The only difference, I believe, is that there’s OIS on the telephoto lens and it’s f/2.4 instead of f/2.8 on the 8 Plus. Sensors are possibly the same. So photo and video performance on the telephoto lens of the X will definitely be quite a lot better. And not forgetting the TrueDepth front facing camera is now, as the name suggests, depth sensing so it can do Portrait Mode without having to resort to two lenses. Was hoping they could have incorporated TrueDepth into the main cameras and we wouldn’t have needed that ugly dual lens setup at the rear! Well maybe next year...

13. rawCpoppa macrumors 6502

I’m hoping that the X gets consistent bokeh effects with sharp focus on the person I’m taking a picture of. The 7+ is huge though so something like the X form factor wise that has bokeh effects is perfect. Well sounds perfect on paper at least.

14. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Portrait videos does have their usage when people just shoot for social media stuff.

15. alleggerita macrumors 6502

alleggerita

Then I hope YouTube restricts users from uploading videos shot in portrait orientation.

“Wrong orientation detected. Please try again!”

16. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Yes this I agree with.

17. fokmik macrumors 68040

Differnces
    Telephoto: ƒ/2.4 aperture- iphone x
    Vs

Telephoto: ƒ/2.8 aperture- iphone 8+
    Iphone x has dual OIS

And the diff for the front camera are:
    Portrait mode

Portrait Lighting (beta)
    Animoji

18. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

They should just build the camera’s into the Apple logo with glass over it and no canera looking piece on the back. :]

19. alleggerita macrumors 6502

alleggerita

Email Tim about this. Would love for that to happen. :D

The Apple logo at the back is such a missed opportunity. There’s so much they can do with it. But it’s just there doing nothing

20. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

It really is. Could of been this years Touch Id replacement in a nice concealed location till they figure under the screen touch.
    I think having it be a tinted glass screen for cameras is a perfect place for it. Big enough to fit two side by side and the flash being the top of the Apple piece haha.
    Would clean up the back so much.

21. alleggerita macrumors 6502

alleggerita

I guess that’s just too funky. And sadly, Apple don’t do funky. :(

22. AndyDiamond macrumors 6502

AndyDiamond

A couple of points:

• Vertical orientation of the lenses on the X - should this make any difference at all? Currently on the 7 Plus / 8 Plus if you turn the phone on its side you end up with vertical lenses. Vice verse on the X. So, moot point apart from some kind of AR implementation?

• OIS on the tele lens - this is very welcome indeed - it does make a big difference to photos and video results.

• f/2.4 aperture on the tele lens - this should also make a difference to photos / videos with a wider aperture for better depth of field and low light shots.

Its also possible the X uses a larger sensor then the 8 Plus and at this point (without any confirmed specs or tear-downs) we don't know if the X has a different camera module altogether than the 8 Plus. We'll have to wait and see.

So for mobile photography the X has the edge for sure, any slight advantage in mobile photography is a deal breaker for me.