Camera Issue!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ZZoinkz, Jun 25, 2010.

1. ZZoinkz macrumors newbie

Yesterday I upgraded my I Phone 3g to the OS 4. I discovered something that deeply disturbed me. I am a new I Phone user, so I wasn't aware that when I take a picture from my I Phone and send it to someone, that they can pin point exactly where I took that picture. So if I take a picture in my house and send it to someone, they now know where I live!!!!!! Even if I click, don't allow location, it doesn't matter, the location still shows up on the other persons phone! Maybe everyone is ok with this, but I am not and I want people to know this is happening! So in order for you to stop this from happening, you have to turn off the locations in the settings and also go to "restrictions" put in a password and turn off the locations. Then you have to make sure not to send any picture that you took before you have done this, because those pictures are still tagged! I hope this info is useful for someone!

2. LoganT macrumors 68020

It shouldn't do that if you have the location services turned off for the camera in settings. It sounds like a bug.

3. ZZoinkz thread starter macrumors newbie

A huge bug! But not just related to my I phone. We have three I Phone users in my house and we all are having the same problem and Apple seemed to be aware of this and said " that is what is suppose to happen" Eeee Frighting if you have children with I phones!

4. j3w3ly macrumors member

How exactly do they see the location? Where does it appear? I've emailed images from my phone and I don't see any locations.

5. ZZoinkz thread starter macrumors newbie

If you have updated to the OS 4, when you go to the Photos icon and click on it, you will see at the bottom of the phone two icons, one says, Albums the other says places, if you click on places, it will show you a map and there will be little thumb tacks, click on the thumb tack and it shows you exactly where the picture were taken.

6. phas3 macrumors 65816

just the city it was taken

7. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I'm just curious who you are sending pictures to that shouldn't know where it was taken, especially of or pictures taken in your house.

Other than that, if you are so secretive then just turn locations off.

P.s. it's iPhone not I phone.

8. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I wondered this as well.

Guess they could be selling stuff on eBay and don't want any irate customers to find them!

9. taybo20 macrumors regular

taybo20

Mine shows the exact location down to the intersection of the streets

10. j3w3ly macrumors member

Well yes, I can see that on my phone...I'm asking how someone else is able to see this info when i text/email them a picture. Are you saying they have to have iP4 as well? In any case, I don't share photos with strangers. So this really isn't an issue.

11. j3w3ly macrumors member

Also, I just emailed some photos to myself, deleted them from my phone, them pulled them from my email back onto my phone. There is no location on these photos. So, even if you manage to email your photos to a stranger, and the stranger saves them to an iP4, it doesn't show the location on their phone.

12. mattydee87 macrumors regular

I did the same and location info was still there... Not that I really care because as pointed out - why would you really send it to someone you don't want knowing your location

13. j3w3ly macrumors member

I was just trying to find out if someone could find the location by saving an image posted on craigs list or ebay or something like that. It didn't show me the location, so not sure why it didn't work.

*I take that back...I just checked again, and it did show the location. The location is just insanely inaccurate. It told me the photo was taken across town.

14. SpankWare macrumors regular

I just upgraded from the original iPhone to the 4, so I can't be 100% certain, but I thought they camera app already tagged photos with coordinates if you agreed to allow the app to use your location. The only difference here is that iOS4's photo app includes an option to show you photos by places. As far as I know, as long as you agreed to allow the Camera app access to location, it's always tagged them you just didn't have a way to see it.

If you have issues with it, turn it off. It's not a bug, it's a feature, it's by design, and you agreed to it.

15. N1CKOLAS macrumors newbie

settings -> general -> location services -> camera -> off

16. ZZoinkz thread starter macrumors newbie

The issue is I run a business from my home and I send pictures to clients. Also I have a child with an iPhone. Obviously, no one else has an issue with this but me.

17. SpankWare macrumors regular

If you have an issue with it, why did you allow it in the first place. You opted in for the feature.

18. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Who cares? If you trusted the person enough to send them a pic of your self why wouldn't you trust them with the location.

Or if you really need to keep your self unknown you can just turn ofF location

19. nparmelee macrumors 6502

Did you check that Settings -> General -> Location Services -> Camera is set to off?

20. css1323 macrumors regular

Wow, thanks for sharing this thread. Pretty scary.. will have to definitely keep note of the location thing.

21. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

As a side note, if you use any of the many third party photo manipulation apps like Photoshop, etc....to edit your photos after taking them, they strip out the gps coordinates.