Camera Lens Scratch!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JayDude132, Jun 24, 2010.

1. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

Ok, so i always carry my phone in my pocket and today i noticed the lens had some scratches on it!!! This camera lens should not be getting scratches! Have any of you noticed this happening to your phones? It doesnt look like it affects the picture at all, but im sure it could start to if it got bad enough... This is on my iPhone 4 btw.

Jason

2. robotkiller macrumors 6502

robotkiller

Keep in mind this demonstration:

This picture:
    [​IMG]

was taken with this lens:
    [​IMG]

I wouldn't worry about a couple of scratches.

Source: http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.10.30/front-element-scratches

3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Hmm. Are you sure?

4. robotkiller macrumors 6502

robotkiller

5. coelacanth macrumors 6502

It's quite common that blemishes on the front glass won't really affect the overall picture quality. Rear glass (closest to sensor/film) will, but of course iPhone camera lens isn't interchangeable.

Not as bad as Jaro posted, but I've seen pictures taken with cracks and separations on the front element and they are usually quite OK.

That said, DOF on these small cameras are much much deeper than larger format cameras and the lens is physically smaller so it will show up more pronouncing than larger cameras. I still think slight marks on coating should give you any noticeable issues though.

6. JayDude132 thread starter macrumors 6502

I hope it'll be ok. I really dont feel like getting a replacement. Especially because it would probably just happen again. maybe it's time to invest in a case - but i really dont want to cover up the beauty of this phone. They look great without cases!

Thanks for your input guys! I feel a little less stressed about that now.