Camera naming system/schema

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trevorplease, Aug 14, 2010.

1. trevorplease macrumors regular

Can anyone explain to me how the camera naming system works on the iphone? I have an Img_0001, then Img_0004, and then another image I took jumped to Img_6617.

simple question but i can't seem to figure it out.

2. trevorplease thread starter macrumors regular

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

4. trevorplease thread starter macrumors regular

IMG_0001 was the only image I saved from a MMS from someone.
    The other two I took on my iphone 4 camera.

5. trevorplease thread starter macrumors regular

That linked help me, but I'm not quite sure

so

1) connect iphone
    2) drag and drop pictures out of iphone into a pictures folder
    3) open iTunes
    4) sync photos to the same pictures folder????

I'm lost.

6. trevorplease thread starter macrumors regular

I'm begging again. Need help understanding naming schema, because it's very irritating having to rename everything on the computer because I decide to delete one picture off camera roll

7. swirlybee macrumors member

Strange how it jumps from 0004 to 6617. Mine starts at 0001 and ends at 1134. There aren't any numbers skipped (except for the ones that I deleted).

You've only taken 4 pictures total? The reason I ask is that when I first connect my iPhone to my PC, the pictures will be out of sequence and it looks like the numbers skip, but I just rearrange and it's all there.

8. trevorplease thread starter macrumors regular

No, those are the only four pictures on my phone so far.
    So you're telling me you have currently 1134 pictures?

I have a hypothesis that it has something to do with going straight to the camera app vs clicking the camera icon in a text message and taking the picture from there.

But still I'm lost.

Am I the only one that cares about this or something?

9. swirlybee macrumors member

Yup, I have 1134 images (total from when I got the original iphone).

I don't think it matters whether you access the camera app directly or from some other app. I just tried it and it still gets numbered sequentially.

10. trevorplease thread starter macrumors regular

Its mind boggling, its such a pet peeve for me because if I decide to delete one image on the camera roll I have to delete all the images after said number just to align the numbers again (on my computer)

Is there any work around?

People are saying something about syncing images to the same folder after putting it on the computer, but how does this get the images back into camera roll?

11. trevorplease thread starter macrumors regular

So I'm guessing if I take picture A (IMG_0003) then take picture B (IMG_0004) then delete picture B. Then take picture C (IMG_0005) picture C will still be IMG_0005. How do I change this so that when I delete picture B, and then take picture C, it will be labeled as IMG_0004??????????

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Apparently so. Most of us don't care about numbers especially given they'll be different when you import pictures from multiple cameras/iPhones to iPhoto.

Camera roll isn't meant for storing pictures after you've imported them. Think of it as film roll, once you've developed it you don't put developed pictures back in the film roll.

13. trevorplease thread starter macrumors regular

What do you mean they will be different? does iPhoto rename pictures for you?

14. Dexter Fox macrumors newbie

Sounds like this will involve having multiple web cameras. You can start looking into standalone web cameras that you can connect directly to a network and be viewed anywhere in the world.

15. ianray macrumors 6502

Cameras do not work like that.

I rename my pictures based on the EXIF timestamp, or if that is unavailable, then the filesystem timestamp. The resulting filename is of the form "YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.ext".

If you really want consecutive IMG_nnnn filenames then you can use an OS X or Windows file renamer tool, or write an Applescript, a Perl script, or indeed a shell script to do it for you. The shell script would be of the following form:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

idx=1
    for file in IMG*.JPG
    do
      name=`printf "_%04u.JPG" $idx`
      if [ -f "$name" ]; then
        echo "*** error temporary file already exists: $name"
        exit 1
      fi
      mv "$file" "$name"
      idx=$((idx + 1))
    done

for file in _*.JPG
    do
      mv "$file" "IMG$file"
    done

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, I meant if you have multiple cameras that you import into iPhoto. One camera might name it as IMG_XXXX and another camera might name it as PAXXXXXX, etc.