Camera newbie here. Help me pick out something fairly inexpensive.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ice Dragon, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Around $100 would be nice although if I have to start around $200, that's fine too. I see some good ones and I have seen some good cameras start around 16 MP or so though I am looking mainly for something as clear as possible.

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

At that price point there isn't really anything that stands out. There is a reason that people fork out thousands of pounds for the top end DSLRs even for amateur work.

I would stick to something from panasonic, canon or sony.

Here is an example of something that is in-between your price range: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSh...=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1340022724&sr=1-1

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Don't look at megapixels as a way of measuring quality. On a point and shoot camera with a normal sized sensor (i.e. almost all compact digital cameras) you don't want anything like 16MP. The individual pixels are so small you are actually getting lower image quality. Look at the quality of the lens and the actual output quality of the imaging sensor.

At this sort of price range I'd look at the Canon A800. It'll take reasonable pictures in good light. All cameras in this price bracket will struggle a bit in low light/challenging conditions.

4. Ice Dragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

5. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

6. Zh2 macrumors member

Hi,

Certainly stick to the Canon stuff...

If only for things like this...

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

You can do some REALLY amazing things with this stuff!

Regards.

Z

7. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

It looks like you have been with MR long enough to have access to the Marketplace section of the forums. Post a Wanted to Buy feeler and see what other forum members have to sell.

Or look at what is offered by respected resellers like B&H Photo. I found this:
    Canon PowerShot G9 for under $200.

Dale