iPad Camera on ipad air is pants

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KhunJay, Dec 4, 2013.

1. KhunJay macrumors regular

KhunJay

I know Im never going to use it but still found it quite substandard.

Grainy and poor in low light, especially.

I wouldn't miss it of they got rid of it.

2. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Cortexcam does a nice job of producing good photos in low light. At least for still life and scenery.

3. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I disagree. The camera on the iPad Air is the best you'll find on any tablet. I'm perfectly happy snapping photographs with it while I'm out and about.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I found the camera on my rMini to be lacking. The 5mp camera produces noisy images. The lack of a flash certainly doesn't help it either.

I didn't buy the tablet for pictures, so its not big deal for me. I don't get people who take their full sized tablets to places like Disney World. They're big bulky and take poor photos.

5. NeoiPad macrumors member

No.

Per example, the Xperia Tablet Z has a better camera.

6. tampasteve macrumors 6502

^This.

I completely agree. Honestly, I have seen people dragging iPads around The Great Wall...what is going through their head? Bring a real camera or use your phone. Dragging around ANY device with the size of a 7+ inch tablet is just a hassle IMO. The cameras on devices like this are best used for video calls, scanning, etc., IMO.

7. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

Well, I much prefer a real camera for photo duty, but the ipad camera is great for snapping pics of checks for mobile deposit!!! MUCH better than driving to the bank. :apple:

8. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I don't think Apple intended for the camera to be used for non-tablet duty. I watched a video review of the Mini 1, and the reviewer said he used the camera to snap pics of classroom notes and documents. That's actually what I think that's what a tablet camera is best suited for, and not portraiture, landscape, etc.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Pants! I disagree completely. It's def half zip pullover. Wish it was dri-fit but can't have everything in a .29" package. No, not best camera ever, but the best camera one has is sometimes the best camera because it's better than none to catch the moment.

10. Kisey macrumors 6502a

While the camera isn't the best, I don't mind too much. I just can't for the life of me understand people who use their iPad as their main camera. I've seen people bust out their iPad at weddings, obstructing the view of everyone behind them.

11. caubeck, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013

caubeck macrumors 6502

The quality of the photos taken by my iPads and phone has dropped notably with iOS7 and this is a topic that comes up in Apple forums quite frequently. Resolution has gone down, fuzziness has risen.

I don't get why there's this running criticism of using a tablet as a camera. Why, if the photos are of acceptable quality, which till now they had been, shouldn't I use a tablet? I have an iPad with me all day, I do not want to take a camera, too. I'm amazed Apple customers are bothered by any kind of convergence when the whole iOS experience is based on covering multiple needs on a single device. I suppose the same people carry a calculator in another pocket and mock anyone doing maths with an app.

If it's quality that bothers those who criticize, do they also point and sneer at people using lower priced cameras when on holiday?

12. AntnyMikal macrumors regular

Low light pics with the air are grainy, but I didn't expect much there with no flash. However I took a daytime pic a couple minutes ago and it looks good, not quite on par with my 5s but not poor by any means.

When I want really detailed pics or video I use my expensive DSLR, it was designed for that.

13. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I am wearing pants right now, they aren't too bad. However, they take terrible pictures.

14. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Only thing I use the camera for is taking pictures for ebay and it's adequate for that.

15. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

16. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

Let it all hang out

17. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

Pants = underpants in the UK
    Trousers in the UK = pants in the U.S.

18. woodynorman macrumors 6502

Does her shirt say something? :D

19. AntnyMikal macrumors regular

It probably does, but it can't be that important.

20. mpantone macrumors 6502

It appears to be an eye exam.

I can read the second line: A - R - E - T - H - E

Not too sure about the other lines.

;)