Camera Opinions Thank you

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Jbgloss, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Jbgloss macrumors member

Jbgloss

Hello,

I am moving forward from iMovie to Final Cut Pro new Mac Pro etc...

Here is my dilema I shoot short youtube - vimeo videos.

http://www.youtube.com/morningcoach
    http://www.vimeo.com/20172765

I do these weekly and the videos are starting to hit the 5-10K View point so I need to upgrade from my old cannon prosumer HG10.

I have an awesome video guy I work with when needed

http://www.passions2profits2011.com and you can see how much better the quality is there.

I am looking at my own personal rig. I have already updated my wireless mic set up went with the Sennheiser evolution G3 and have a Countryman e6. I can use this on stage and with video.

I am going to use this new camera for ustream also.

You can see I normally shoot 5 -10 minutes, put the video in the wrapper my video person made me and compress in iMovie.

I am not looking to get crazy just need better quality. It is also important to note most of my videos I do myself. If I need other I have my pro do. I am also looking to use the camera as a b roll camera. My budget is around $3000

I am looking at the Canon XF100 but for my understanding it does not play nice with Final Cut and I can only imagine if I need to throw something together fast in iMovie no dice. But, it looks amazing and has face tracker for solo shooters.

Anyways, I would love some ideas. I was pretty sold on the Canon but???? Maybe a Panasonic would be better??
    Thank You very much!!!

2. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Now I'm no expert in this area, but the P2P video seems to have been shot with lighting, whereas yours haven't. IMO, that makes a big difference (bright face and shiny hair versus a presenter that is part of the background). The P2P vid also has that depth-of-field thing going on that all the kids are going on about and to achieve that, you'll need to move to DSLRs (or Panasonic GH2) or something like the Panasonic AF100 or Sony's NEX-VG10: big sensors, big glass.

Maybe the first step is to talk to your pro guy about lighting, then see if a new camera is needed.

3. Jbgloss, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011

Jbgloss thread starter macrumors member

Jbgloss

Thank you!!

Martin,

Thank you for the comments, great stuff. That is what I am looking for before I drop 3K on a camera, though I think it will be a great investment.

I am going to do as you suggested and look at the cameras you sent over.

I shot the other latest videos but the camera just doesn't seem to pop. Maybe better lighting etc.. but I really think it is the HG10 :(

My thought was the XF100 but it only has a 1/3 sensor, I am too happy with SLR for the audio integration etc...I
    love the size of the XF100 but may have to look elsewhere :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/733533-REG/Canon_4888B001_XF100_HD_Professional_Camcorder.html

Thank you for the help, truly,

JB

4. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

For "pop", I really think it's the lighting, in conjunction with DOF. Take a look at videos on "three point lighting".

The Shirtless Apprentice does an interesting one that covers topics like "how to give your subject some pop with an overhead backlight".

5. Jbgloss thread starter macrumors member

Jbgloss

Martin thank u

Martin,

Thank u again - I bought some lights and used them the last 2 videos but after watching those videos u suggested I don't think my wattage was high enough.

I am going to take your suggestion and hae my video guy come over and check my setup. If I can get by with less camera more money to spend on other toys :)

Thank u for all your input :)

6. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Yeah, the professionals use a couple of thousand watts of lighting :eek:. Hot and fuse blowing things they are. Fortunately, CFLs are here and they're cheap to buy and cheap to run. There's plenty of lights on ebay etc that have 4 - 7 80w CFLs which can give around the same light output as the 1500w lights of old (well, 2 years ago, so not that old :D ).

Not the same league as the pro lights, but better than a couple of floor lamps :)