Camera or CS3

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jopling, May 22, 2007.

1. Jopling macrumors 6502

Currently I'm a student and I have $1100 to spend on CS3. I have been offered several times to do still photography for clubs which rakes in about $100 a night with a minimal amount of work (I'm going to be there anyways too). Unfortunately I don't have a DSLR (only a SLR and digital point and shoots). I've taken several photography classes, but I am a Film major with a graphic design minor. I thought it would probably be wise to invest in the camera now, make the money for CS3 and then continue to make money with the camera. CS3 would purely be for building my portfolio and wouldn't make me any money. I'm not sure exactly which camera I should get, but I've been told to go with Nikon by multiple people. What do you guys think?

Also, I currently own an XL2 with an interchangeable lens, would it work on a DSLR?

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I would definitely buy the camera first. :)

Canon and Nikon make the best D-SLR's and I strongly advise you to handle both before making your final choice.

FJ

3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Well, first off, if you're a student, have you ever looked at academicsuperstore.com? They have CS3 Design Standard for only $390, free shipping.

With $710 left over, you could still buy a DSLR easily, depending on which one you're looking at. If you're hoping for one a bit more expensive, then I'd agree with your first plan: buy the camera now, and then buy CS3 once you've made the money from the photos.

4. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't even bother with CS3 if you already have anything higher or including CS.

Nikon and Cannon do make some killer dSLRs. I prefer Nikon, but you may find differently. Any SLR lens is compatible with dSLRs.

5. Jopling thread starter macrumors 6502

Which specific models would your recommend? I can go a little over 1100 and more than likely I am going to look on ebay, I was able to get my XL2 for pretty cheap there.

Oh and the XL2 is a digital video camera ethernet, I don't know If that makes a difference or not.

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

What is higher than CS3?

FJ

7. Jopling thread starter macrumors 6502

You truncated his quote, he meant higher than CS1 or CS2

8. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Sorry :eek: I am still half sleeping (it's just before 7 o'clock AM !!)

FJ

9. filman408 macrumors regular

The XL2 lens' will not work on Canons DSLR's.
    You need an adaptor for their DSLR lens to work with the XL series. The XL uses a larger connenction/hole then the DSLR's, I believe.

10. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

With that kind of cash, I'd look into either the Nikon D80, D40x, or try to find an used D50. On the Canon side you'll be able to get the new Rebel Xti (400D), Rebel XT (350D, excellent, and in many ways better than the new Xti), or you might be able to get a 20D (which I would recomend over the rebels). You have to remember that most of your cash will be spent on lenses, once you get into SLR. What lenses are you using with your film SLR at the minute? If you work nights at clubs, then you'll probably need a fast prime lens (something like a 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4- 79 and 300 dollars respectively for the Canon mount).

11. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

I second the notion of using academicsuperstore.com. All you have to do is verify that you are a student by sending a copy of your most recent report card. I was verified and received both Adobe Lightroom and PS CS3 Extended for $279.

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Absolutely the camera. The dSLR (350D, aka: canon digital rebel xt) has been invaluable to me.

You can get a better price than that for the software, as others have mentioned. I also wanted to bring up the option of Photoshop Elements as well. It's a much more useful tool than people give credit for. The average user would find it more than enough. Best part is that it's about $90 or less. just a thought.

13. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

Get academic superstore CS3, or perhaps you can buy CS1 off ebay really cheap right now.

Then get yourself a Nikon D80.

Sorted. It'd be a beautiful setup.

14. munckee macrumors 65816

I'll jump on the bandwagon, but I'd recommend only buying CS3 if you're already running an intel machine or plan to get one in the very near future (in which case I'd highly recommend it). Grab a "base" model dSLR and put whatever money you have left into lenses. You can also save a ton by buying used equipment carefully. Check out fredmiranda.com if you haven't already for some excellent photo jabber.

15. Jopling thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys. I already have Photoshop for CS1 and it runs terribly on my intel mac, half the time the program crashes. I also have the last versions of fireworks and dreamweaver, so I am in no rush to get CS3.

16. theISHkid macrumors regular

Like others have said... camera first... then software.