Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noojin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
Hello everybody,

I was curious of what you think for a good alternative camera app to the stock version. I hear many great reviews of camera+ and pro camera 7 for iOS 7. I wanted to google a site that compares these two apps but there isn't any and reviews are a year or 2 old. In the top charts Camera+ is still ranked higher than pro camera 7. There are consumers who disliked pro camera 7 because they believe the app is looking for more money because the developers revamped it for iOS 7 and requires a fee to purchase the app rather than an upgrade to the previous users in iOS 6. Pro camera 7 is temporarily on sale as well at this time. What do you think?

In addition, I also have the snapseed app that edits photos. Do I have what I what camera+ or pro camera 7 has then? Stock camera+snapseed = camera+/pro camera 7?

Hrhnick

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2013
I hate having a million camera apps! I use a combo of the stock camera and an app I found on the top charts called Afterlight. I like it better than Snapseed and it has a great selection of editing tools and prebuilt filter effects.

Noojin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
I realized I have a few grammar mistakes in my post, my apologies. Well, I will check out after light then. What I like about stock camera is you can open it from the lock screen. I am unable to do that with a 3rd party app (unless I am jailbroken most likely).

There were some comments in the reviews about the developer for camera+ having no professionalism in his app description list. Some found it comical and continue to support the developer where as some despise what was written. Though, I just want an app where there is continuous support.

I will look into afterlight. Thank you.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
In addition, I also have the snapseed app that edits photos. Do I have what I what camera+ or pro camera 7 has then? Stock camera+snapseed = camera+/pro camera 7?

What exactly are you looking for? I have used many camera app replacements, including two apps that you mentioned, but in the end, I always come back to Apple's built-in Camera app for taking pictures.

I do, however, use other apps for post processing and publishing.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I've been buying stuff from the App Store since day one. Honestly, I wish app developers would just shut the heck up and focus on developing their apps instead of trying to argue their decisions. There's no point to it. Just make the update and let the *******s who complain about it spend the same amount of money that the new app update costs on an alternative.

I mean, in the end, the jokes on them because they're going to spend the stupid dollar anyway. :roll eyes: New camera apps come out practically every week and most of the photo crazy people have invested into ALL of them. I still have stuff from iOS2 and 3 even.

Camera+ is good. But those guys are ancient when it comes to Apple and Macs, and have lots of cash to blow. When the iPhone started to be "the" camera for everyone, they were really the first app to blow people's minds. They sold 10 million copies of it this far. It was the app I used since it debuted, until Snapseed came along.

I remember when the Clarity feature debuted. A HUGE deal it was.

But, there really is no need for Camera+ if you have Snapseed, because it's really just the simpler version of it. ProCamera 7 has the better features and supports video.

Noojin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
What exactly are you looking for? I have used many camera app replacements, including two apps that you mentioned, but in the end, I always come back to Apple's built-in Camera app for taking pictures.

I do, however, use other apps for post processing and publishing.

I guess I was looking for a camera app that has some nice editing techniques. What I am also curious is what is this dual touch exposure and focus? Can someone clarify that more with me? I am assuming that the stock camera doesn't have this because there are no 2 separate buttons for these features when pressing on the camera screen.

Camera+ boasts about the clarity picture in their images. I am assuming snapseed/afterlight has these features now? Camera apps have evolved to contain this clarity option but camera+ boast about it?

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I settled on ProCamera. The editing is a tad easier and actually produces better results. And along with Snapseed, Aviary, and Phototoaster you don't really need much more.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Still trying to find an actual camera app to use until Apple get some features in their offering.

For post edit for work I mainly use photoforge 2 and photowizard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.