Camera or the person?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Liquinn, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Liquinn Suspended

I have a Canon SX130 which isn't the best camera you can get... but would it help if I had a better camera?

I do gig photography as a hobby and wanted to know if it's possible to take good/amazing photos on a camera such as mine?

I'm going to get a Macbook Pro next year to edit some of the photographs on to make them better; is this a good idea?

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you are looking for gallery-quality photos, you will need a better camera. If you want pictures that you and your friends/family can enjoy and print for yourself, you can do that with pretty much anything.

3. wpotere Guest

Yes, you can... A great majority of photography is composition. A camera like an SLR will give you more control over exposure and such, but even a little cheap camera can take great shots if the photographer understands how to use it.

4. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

Hm, should I upload some photographs that I've taken and upload them on here?

Would a Macbook Pro help with photography?

Is editing photographs I've taken to make them look slightly better right or wrong?

Thanks

5. simsaladimbamba

Yes, it is. I started with an analog 35mm camera and did some good photos. Then I got several analog SLR cameras and I got better.
    My first digital camera was a ****** Kodak V900 (or something like that) and I was able to do some very good photos, even with other ****** cameras.

It just takes practice. A lot of it sometimes. A good photographer once told me, that having five good pictures on a film roll with 36 photos is quite a good average. Nowadays with digital cameras, you even have more photos to shoot from.
    But as someone already said, it just comes down to COMPOSITION.

I also read this book and it made me become better: http://www.amazon.com/Photographic-Seeing-Andreas-Feininger/dp/B001CEQKPW/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_2

If you want to see some of my photographs: http://lucisumbrarum.blogspot.com/ + http://lucesumbrarum.blogspot.com/
    Some were taken with analog cameras, some with the ****** digital cameras and some with a digital SLR with proper lenses and many with a PowerShot G9 (which gives you a lot of freedom with manual settings).

----------

1. But maybe Flickr is better.

2. No.

3. No.

6. someoldguy macrumors 65816

Gear is good , but you've got to develop an eye for composition and some knowledge of what's going on optically re: exposure and depth of field . Maybe better gear for shooting gigs, but don't go crazy. I've got great gear and still take a lot of crap .

7. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

Thanks.

Is it wrong to edit photos I've taken to make them look better?

8. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Nope. I edit photos all the time. I have a great picture of my parents on megans bay (a beach in st. Thomas) with a 180 degree panorama.
    In broad daylight do you really think there was know one else on the beach? :p

I remove people, fuse faces, remover wrinkles, red exe, straighten, etc.

9. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

True, I agree with you XD

At one of the venues I go to, you're not allowed an SLR or anything that's deamed proffesional.

So what would the point in me buying a camera I can't use at the venue?

10. wpotere Guest

Post Processing has always been done. So if you are using Photoshop to sharpen or soften parts of a photo there really isn't anything "wrong" with it. Back before digital we used to dodge and burn photos to manipulate exposure.

Some people like to try and capture only what the camera is capable of. However, as some people mentioned you may shoot 100 shots and only 3 of them are good. With that you may have 10 that might be good with a little alteration so why not do it? With that, for some post processing is also an art. It really is up to you.

My buddy shoots macro and does not believe in post processing.

http://dalantech.deviantart.com/

11. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

I'll take a look. And I agree; What would the point me buying a camera I cannot use?

The Bristol 02 I sometimes go to (I'm in the UK); you cannot have a pro-camera.

So shall I just keep on going with my camera?

And true, how would one tell a photo has been edited anyway?

12. wpotere Guest

There are ways to tell if processing was used, pixelation etc... What are you trying to achieve? If you are wanting to enter contests, just find the one that fits your shooting style. In my buddies case, he enters his photos in ones where there is no manipulation allowed. For him it is about the eye and the camera catching something very special and specific. I will tell you that out of 500 plus shots he may get one or two quality photos.

If you are doing this for fun, then just enjoy it.

13. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

A Macbook Pro would do well for editing photos.

Why would I bother getting a better camera if I'm unable to use it at the venue though?

Cheers

14. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

A Macbook Pro will indeed take better pictures.
    You have to smuggle the camera in.

:)

15. wpotere Guest

You kind of lost me there. By "venue" are you implying a contest? That was my question above.

Any computer can really edit photos so whatever you choose is up to you, I use a Windows box and Photoshop for mine.

I have several cameras that I use. I have a Canon S8000 for places that I can't use my Canon 10D (some site seeing places overseas restrict the use of an SLR in them like churches etc...). I choose the right camera for the right application. Choice of camera is up to you.

16. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

Music venue. They're not going to let me take a SLR or better camera in. :(

17. wpotere Guest

Yeah, that and you probably wouldn't want to haul it anyway. Small point and shoots are best. ;)

18. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

It's better for me to be happy with the camera I have I guess?

19. wpotere Guest

Yep...

20. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

Hm, the photos I've took at gigs are personal to me though.

Shall I put some on here so you can check them out?

21. wpotere Guest

If you want to post them up then go for it.

22. VI™ macrumors 6502a

I do live band photography as a hobby on the side of my business of doing band portraiture and trying to break into commercial and editorial work. You can get photo passes and free tickets to shows by just asking. 8 times out of 10, you'll be rejected for not working for a publication and even more if you're trying to shoot really popular acts, but I've been able to get into some shows of national acts by just asking. I've shot OK Go, Shadows Fall, Norma Jean, The Chariot, Badfish, and others by just shooting an e-mail to the manager of the band.

That'll get you in.

The second part of this is that it's not just the photographer and it's not just the camera, it's a culmination of both. An amazing photographer with a P&S can only deliver certain qaulity photos while if they're paired up with a camera and lens combo that allows for clean high ISO shots and a good zoom range or a good prime with a nice wide aperture, then the photos will turn out that much better. I shoot with a Canon 5D MKII lenses that range from 15mm to 200mm. All the zooms have constant apertures of 2.8 with the exception of one an I can shoot clean 4000 ISO with my camera. I also own an Olympus Pen E-P3 that I can lay money on me not being able to get as good shots as I do with my Canon in that situation. If I was shooting in an environment where lighting setups matter more than equipment ability, then it would be a different story.

23. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

How can I contact Asking Alexandria's band manegement to ask them for a photo pass? Yeah, I've heard you need to be signed to a mag to get in front of the barriers mostly.

Hmmmmmm.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, in fact most if not all professional photographers edit the images, sharpening images, correcting white balance, removing noise on the images they capture.

25. VI™ macrumors 6502a

Dig. Go to their website and look for management info. If it's not their Google "Asking Alexandria Management". If that doesn't work, check out their record label home page.