Resolved Camera overlay and editing

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by MickeyT, Apr 7, 2013.

1. MickeyT, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013

MickeyT macrumors member

Hi

I am trying to do some exercises from a book. The first exercise is to turn on the ability to edit an image taken with the camera after capturing it, which I have done. However, I'm not sure whether the next exercise, which is to overlay a view with a crosshair on it over the camera, is meant to be done separately from the first exercise.

If it is not, then when the editing view appears after taking the photo, I can't pinch and zoom the image because my camera overlay is in the way.

I have tried to turn off the built-in camera controls and add my own button to the overlay so that, when it is pressed, I have an opportunity to intervene during the photo taking process and make the overlay nil, but the editing screen doesn't appear after the photo is taken.

There doesn't seem to be a delegate method that fires between the picture being taken and the image editing screen appearing so that I can dispense with the overlay.

Is it therefore not possible to use an overlay and the built-in editing functionality that comes with a UIImageViewPickerController at the same time?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Which book? Please be as specific as possible when referencing resources. In the case of a book, that means: title, author, edition, and, if appropriate, chapter and page number.

3. MickeyT thread starter macrumors member

Sorry - it's the Big Nerd Ranch iOS book 3rd edition.

It's the gold challenge in chapter 12, which is why I've not been told how to do this exactly in the book.

To be fair, I've never actually checked to see whether they post answers to the challenges on a website or something.

The bronze challenge is to allow editing of a taken photo. If the gold challenge is meant to be done separately to the bronze challenge, then this is a non-issue. If the gold challenge is meant to build upon the bronze challenge, then that is where my problem lies.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Thank you for that.

I believe it is meant to be done separately. I think all the challenges in the book are meant to be done separately unless they make mention of building on the previous challenge.

5. MickeyT thread starter macrumors member

Perfect, that explains it - thank you very much.