Camera photo type setting help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TB07-NJ, Jun 17, 2016.

1. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Is there a setting I am missing to make the default type of photo (ie: video, panorama, square, etc etc) more permanent? I am constantly brushing the selection and ending up with a square photo instead of normal or a video instead of still especially when taking a picture in a very tight place which I have to do quite often for work. It is just too easy to move that selection due to my large hands ( :) )

6S Plus with latest IOS if it matters.

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

No setting to do that.

First off, there isn't quite a "default" - Apple's general design approach is to "save last state" - an app re-opens with the same settings you were using previously.

Effectively, you just want it to be harder to change the camera mode. That could be done by making the control harder to access, which, in turn, would frustrate others who want to have it at their fingertips. It's one of the fundamental problems for human interface designers - finding an approach that works well for the most users.

I encounter the "clumsiness"/"big fingers" argument from time to time. I'm convinced that some people modify their gestures anticipating that they have to compensate for such things, rather than letting the (very sophisticated) touch screen system and their body's motor control/hand-eye coordination system do what it was designed to do - learn from experience. Maybe they believe they lack the subtlety to touch such a small place, but there are countless thousands of actions we've learned to do with very great subtlety - we just take them for granted. Most likely, they want a system that is more forgiving of their "shortcomings," so that they don't have to spend time and effort adapting.

I know, "You're holding it wrong" - however, there's also truth to it. There are specific gestures that might accidentally change the camera mode, but they are either inaccurate (such as touching SLO-MO instead of the view photos thumbnail directly below it), or extraneous (swiping across the display). I had similar problems when the current layout of the camera app arrived. Over time, it ceased to be a problem. Practice; it's the way you get to Carnegie Hall.

3. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

My gesture is only touching it (the camera mode bar that is! :) ). I am 70 yrs old with arthritis in my hands so it ain't easy. They could consider some sort of default or lock option. They have options for many other features across the top like flash etc etc. Just a thought.