Camera/Photobooth glitch

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by applecupcakes, Jul 25, 2008.

1. applecupcakes macrumors member

applecupcakes

I just got a new Macbook on July 4th. Twice since I've had it (a couple of weeks ago, and this morning, as we speak) when I turned on the computer the green indication light for the camera came on. Trying to see what was up I opened Photobooth, and the camera shows nothing - completely black. If I actually take a photo when the computer is having these symptoms, no picture actually shows up with the other picture previews at the bottom... it makes a new space for one, but nothing appears - not even a photo of a black screen.

The first time this happened I shut down the computer and re-started it, which "solved" the problem. When I turned it on this morning the same thing happened, but a simple restart (as opposed to shutting down and re-starting) did nothing, and the light remains on.

Is this a known/common problem? Is there anything I can do here at home or should I take it into the Apple store? I do have Applecare. Bear with me, I'm something of an Apple newbie. :)

Thank you!!

2. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

try using this - it might fix things

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/31818

I am lazy and just go to maintenance menu - All maintenance tasks and reboot. This takes several minutes so be patient. It may do the trick before you rush off to an Apple genius.

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

A friend was having issues with Photo Booth and iSight. Repairing permissions in Disk Utility fixed it.

4. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

If worse comes to worse, take it to the genius bar at apple. It's still well under warranty.