Camera Purchase Advice

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tri3limited, Jan 18, 2009.

1. tri3limited macrumors 6502

I'm looking at purchasing a new camera and am thinking Sony EX 3 is the way to go... Any alternative suggestions for around the same price zone.

Although not available on the EX 3 an BNC out would be a nice plus if available for the same price and quality.

I'm going to go to my nearby pros to have a hands on with the cameras before purchasing and am simply after alternate ideas.

EDIT: My bad EX 3 does have BNC out
    EDIT 2: Anyone know how the EX 3 compares to the Panasonic AG-HVX200A?

2. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

I'm not going to include all the stats as they are freely available via Google. The EX3 is like the EX1 but with a combo-LCD-viewfinder, interchangeable lenses, BNC ins and outs, and better hand-hold-ability. As far as I know, the HVX200A just has an updated sensor block (which is better in low-light).

The EX3 has shallower depth of field, better in low light, better resolution, looks better ergonomically if using handheld (HVX is front heavy). Where it's not good is in situations with flashing lights. The sensors are read in two halves and flashing lights or very fast-moving objects can have moved or changed in between times. The fixed/difficult to dissemble LCD also makes it less easily transported than the HVX.

The HVX200A records in DVCProHD, which records 4:2:2 colour. But as the HVX uses offset 960x540 sensors, the colour information coming off the sensors is a bit soft and might not be any better than the 4:2:0 from the 1920x1080 sensors on the EX3. It doesn't have the flashing lights issue, though.

People will undoubtedly ask you what your intended use is — but if price isn't an issue, the only times I'd pick the HVX over the EX3 are:
    • if I had an old PowerBook with a limited processor and P2-sized expansion slot;
    • if I had FCP 5, and would not be upgrading in the foreseeable future;
    • if I was going to be shooting lots of discos or very fast-moving objects.

I would, however, have a good think about whether the EX3 is worth its premium over the EX1.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

While no camera is perfect and no camera is ideal for every situation the EX1/3 are, IMO, the cameras to beat in the prosumer market place right now. Another advantage is that you can use this card reader and fast enough SD/SDHC media at a fraction of the price of SxS or P2 media.

Just to clear up what Keith was saying about possible problems w/flashing lights, the EX1/3 use a single CMOS imager (like many newer cameras) and imager gets scanned from top to bottom. If what the camera is shooting changes faster than the sensor can be scanned (such as a camera flash) then the image from the top of the sensor, which was scanned first, can be different than the image scanned at the bottom of the sensor. There are other artifacts called "skew" and "jello" that CMOS imagers can be subject to as well.

The JVC-HD100 is an older HDV camera that scanned its CCDs in halves which could result in a "split screen" problem that typically manifested itself in low light situations especially if the gain was pumped up.

Lethal

4. tri3limited thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies! Ironically I'm currently using the JVC HD100 from time-to-time at work and personally find it to be quite poor even in comparison to the JVC DV500 and even the Panasonic AGDVX100.

I doubt I'll be using the camera in a flashing lights environment so am strongly considering the Sony although i do love the colour Panasonics can produce. Do Canon make a similar camera?

As i said I'm trying before i buy anyway, just looking to have some ideas in mind so i can ensure they have them available to demo.

I like the options of the interchangeable lens on the EX 3 as well as the BNC so that i can use the camera in live event situations. The timecode and genlock features probably won't be used excessively but would certainly be handy for the future so i am tempted to just go for the EX 1 for now. The body shape of the EX 3 is far more preferable if I'm honest though.

Dilemmas! Well i think I'll definitely be looking at the 2 EX's and i wouldn't mind seeing the Panasonic. Any last recommendations?

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

6. tri3limited thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that Lethal! I didn't quite realise just how nice the Canon was and having used XM1 and 2s before i had to consider Canon at the least.

I'm now going to go have a look at the Canon XL-H1S as well as the Sony EX 3 as i have gone off of the Panasonic unfortunately.

I love that the Canon is CCD and has interchangeable lenses aswell as the BNC connectors at about two thirds of the price. I would really like to go to a tapeless workflow so i would guess that the best option would be to use the Flash XDR?