Camera quality on 2018 MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eric.johnson, Nov 29, 2018.

1. eric.johnson macrumors newbie

Who of you own the 2018 13" MacBook Pro, the one with the Touch Bar. What is the FaceTime HD camera like? It has never mattered before but I am needing to use the camera a lot from now on for online. I am considering and most likely will return the MacBook Air 2018 I just picked up because the camera quality is terrible and doesn't seem very 720p to me.

Thanks!

2. leman macrumors G3

Its the same as any other Mac in last few years. Which to say not very good. Very thin display makes it impossible to put a decent quality sensor there, unfortunately. If you want good webcam on a Mac laptop, you need to get an external one. The iPad and the iPhone have a good front camera simply because they are much thicker than a Mac laptop display.

3. eric.johnson thread starter macrumors newbie

That’s a shame. I am on a 2018 MacBook Pro now and the camera is noticeably better than the new air.

4. RobbieTT macrumors 6502

RobbieTT

Even when space is not at a premium they often select a rubbish camera - current 27-inch iMac is an example. The iMac Pro gets a better one but clearly the pricing is in a different league.

5. Ma2k5 macrumors 68020

Ma2k5

I think only Microsoft and recently, HP (Spectre x360 late 2018 model), have actually got a Full HD camera on their laptop - at least on the mainstream consumer ones.