Camera RAW hangs on my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by pictures, Jan 28, 2012.

1. pictures macrumors member

Standard practice, for me, when going through an SD card is to view RAW images in Adobe Camera RAW to decide what to keep and what to toss. I've never had an issue with this on any other computer. However, my MacBook Pro cannot seem to do it. It hangs, sometimes with a first batch of 10 or so images, other times not until the 3rd or 4th batch. There doesn't seem to be much of a pattern. The only way out seems to be a hard shut down.

I thought maybe it was a bad card, but it does it with all cards. I moved images to an external hard drive, same problem. I have not tried it by moving images to the main drive, I don't want to have to work that way.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

I have 4GB RAM, using Snow Leopard and Adobe CS5

2. simsaladimbamba

Do the Windows computers not have the problem with reading from the card?
    Maybe, as RAW files are rather big, the SD card can't be read fast enough?
    What does happen, if you copy the files to your internal HDD and then use Adobe Camera RAW?
    Don't you use Lightroom?

I have no such problems with my 2007 iMac and 2009 MBP reading 12 MP RAW files from a Canon camera (G9 and EOS 450D), after they have been copied to their HDD (FW 800 HDD).

3. pictures thread starter macrumors member

I have not had the problem with iMacs. It's been awhile since I had a PC, (back at CS2 or 3?) but I don't recall having an issue.

I have not tried it with copying the files directly to the hdd, but I don't want have to do that to make it work.

No, don't use Lightroom or Aperture. It's about the $$'s

4. simsaladimbamba

Maybe just try it, to eliminate, that the SD card reader is the source of the problem?

You have CS5 (whatever that means to you, as CS5 is the designation for a lot of applications), thus LR should be just peanuts.

5. pictures thread starter macrumors member

I'll give it a try later to see if there is a difference between how RAW behaves with an internal drive vs. an external one.

Just to be sure, I went to the Adobe site and checked quickly. It looks like the only $99 upgrade path to Lightroom is via previous versions of LR, and not other Adobe products.

Or are you thinking my having a CS5 package means I should have extra money to spend?

6. simsaladimbamba

I guess. Sorry for the assumption, which came from my preconception of me having shed out the money for LightRoom and then PS and AE.