Camera Raw Support

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ppdix, May 14, 2016.

1. ppdix macrumors 6502a

ppdix

I am a pro photographer. I've been using Macs since 1986 and Aperture since 2005.
    Apple decided to stop releasing updates for it in 2004 but I love it an still prefer it over Ligthtroom.
    I just got a new Canon 1DX Mark II DSLR, officially released a week ago and, Unfortunately I can't use it with Aperture or in any case, throughout Mac OS X since Apple failed to release an updated Camera Raw support for it. The photos show as unsupported.
    Adobe released it over a month ago, even before the Camera was released.
    It is really disappointing and frustrating that Apple keeps forgetting about us professionals.
    Not only they discontinued Aperture in favor of the useless and consumer-oriented Photos app but even the Mac Pro hasn't been updated in 3 years, not to mention it compares really badly to a full spec PC which costs less. Also, no 4K or 5K monitors yet. I am still using an overpriced 27" LED Cinema Display for 5 years since nothing new being released. Other brands already have cheaper and better monitors...
    Apple built it's Mac reputation on creativity and professionals. Graphic designers, Photographers, Illustrators and Videographers have always preferred Mac over PC.
    It is sad that they choose to forget about us, who buy the more expensive machines, more peripherals and rely on the Mac to create and make money.
    I hope an update is released soon so i can work with my $6000 camera.

2. AleXXXa macrumors 6502

AleXXXa

My camera launched in 2014 (D750) still isn't supported in Mavericks (Aperture and Camera RAW are up to date).
    But it works perfectly in Lightroom/Photoshop.
    Apple doesn't care about us anymore.

3. ppdix thread starter macrumors 6502a

ppdix

Lightroom and Photoshop don't share the same RAW support. Even with the latest updates, camera raw for PS is still a separate update. Still, at least they are supported fast... Sad that Apple doesn't care.

4. chrfr macrumors 603

Apple does support the D750, but you'll need to update your operating system to use it. Either Yosemite or El Capitan would enable support for that camera.

5. dyn macrumors 68030

Which is the reason why Apple doesn't spent resources on displays. The same for Aperture. At first it was just Lightroom but there are now many other applications that do the same and more.

They are not making money hence why they dropped products. There simply is too much competition going on. All of the apps suffer from the same problem: camera (and even lens) support takes time and some app still don't support certain cameras whereas others do.

You also have a very wrong assumption here. Apple manufactures hardware (Macs, iPhone, iPad, etc.) with the software to run the hardware (OS X, iOS). That's how they support professionals of any kind. The OS allows for creation of ones own workflows and there is good graphic support in the OS itself. The rest has always been up to third parties. The world of graphics has always evolved around Adobe products running on a Mac, never around Apple applications running on a Mac.

Anyway, the issue you are running into is an issue with any photography app. You really need to look at the software before you buy a camera. And no, the others are by no means faster than Apple, quite a few still don't have support for certain cameras that have been on the market for a few years now... Take a look at how many apps fully support the Fuji X-Pro2. That would be Iridient Developer and an open source library (LibRAW) used by many open source camera projects (the irony). Photography software is a PITA when it comes to camera/lens support.

6. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

The OP is talking about support for 1DX RAWs within OSX, not the developing software. These are two separate things, and it is completely on Apple.

7. dyn macrumors 68030

If you don't know the software just don't respond. Both the OP and I are talking about RAW support which is required for any application that needs to work with these files. This can be software to manage the files, edit the files and/or develop the RAW.

If you want to work with RAW files then the software needs to support it and since each camera has its own specifics the manufacturers of the software will have to work on that support for each new camera. This takes time and, like I mentioned, affects all software makers and not just Apple. The issue is that the amount of time you have to wait differs from camera to camera. Again, this is not just Apple, it is ANY piece of software with RAW support.

If the camera manufacturer isn't clear about the RAW software or did something to it that makes it difficult to engineer support for it then it will take more time or the software developer might simply decide not to support it. Fuji X-Trans sensors is a very good example where it has taken Adobe quite some time to get useable support for the RAW files. Apple was much quicker and apparently LibRAW seems to be the quickest for supporting the X-Pro2. So no, it isn't completely on Apple.

You may want to educate yourself on the matter before doing the easiest thing one can possibly do: point a finger at someone (which is what you are doing here). Not a chance in hell software developers can get RAW support for a new camera within 1 week after release.