Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
At the moment I use my iPhone and a GoPro for most of my video capture. I want to buy a more dedicated camera - primary use will be for video capture. I have a seperate point and shoot camera for photos (Canon PowerShot S95), although i could be tempted to sell this if i could find a DSLR replacement that will roll everything into one.

It should be good in low light if possible and I need it to autofocus, even while recording video. Must be able to capture at least 720p video.

I am also keen to avoid the hassle of MTS files etc - The reason why I have been using my iPhone and GoPro is that they create MOV and MP4 files (I am aware these are containers) that I can import directly into iMovie quickly and easily.

I'm keen to start learning FCPX and want a better quality camera for my video capture. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
Well, the Canon 650D offers continues autofocus (though still very noisy). It's good with low light, you can have different lenses and it records in a .mov format. Especially Premiere Pro handles it superb.

I personally have the 600D and I think it's great. The flexible screen is really useful. I use it with the cheap 50mm canon portrait lens. Recently I used it on some interviews I did.

salacious

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2011
Well, the Canon 650D offers continues autofocus (though still very noisy). It's good with low light, you can have different lenses and it records in a .mov format. Especially Premiere Pro handles it superb.

I personally have the 600D and I think it's great. The flexible screen is really useful. I use it with the cheap 50mm canon portrait lens. Recently I used it on some interviews I did.

i ditto what he said ^

ctyhntr

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
If you don't need the latest and the greatest, check out the Canon t2i (550), and t3i (600). For the price of the t4i (650D) body alone, I recently walked out the store with a t2i and 2 kit lenses and a 50mm 1.8 prime lens.

One drawback of using a Canon DSLR is the 12 minute video record limit.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Get a Canon DSLR with the kit lens 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, grab the 50mm f/1.8 and you will be happy. Shoots to .MOV container with 50mbps H.264 (up to 150mbps with Magic Lantern) with uncompressed 2 channel PCM (sucky quality due to on board mic but again magic lantern fixes this).

My work flow for video is basically shooting and then using MPEG stream clip to transcode the video to ProRes 422 and my FCP X work flow is ultra easy to work with...I NEVER use H.264 in FCP X since my Mac is a bit slower than the newer ones, it can handle it, its just tedious waiting for it to transcode in FCP X. You will not be disappointed. Check out my signature to see my gearzzz.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Thanks for your suggestions.
I've been looking at the 650D with the STM lens kit - AF looks pretty good, and quiet, although slightly slow, but that's not a major issue for the type of video I'll be shooting.

Anyone have any experience shooting video with this camera?

I guess I could get a proper video camera, but my main concern is that the 650D would be much better in low light and indoor shooting then a video camera due to the larger lens?

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Just to be helpful, can you describe your idea of indoor/low light? I know it's subjective but are you thinking a single 60 watt (or energy saver 14 watt) bulb source or even darker? I think people really hope for a movie type dark ability and either don't know or realize how much light is still involved even in a static shot/subject.

I did the same thing until I was asked the same question and once I could answer my interpretation of what I felt low light was, it ended up being two different things but in a good way ;)

With that said, my D7000 and the 35mm are really nice in low light, think around Xmas time trying video of peoples lights outside. Not sure how my Canon HF-S21 would be for night time video as I never tried but I think you get the idea.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Just to be helpful, can you describe your idea of indoor/low light? I know it's subjective but are you thinking a single 60 watt (or energy saver 14 watt) bulb source or even darker? I think people really hope for a movie type dark ability and either don't know or realize how much light is still involved even in a static shot/subject.

I did the same thing until I was asked the same question and once I could answer my interpretation of what I felt low light was, it ended up being two different things but in a good way ;)

With that said, my D7000 and the 35mm are really nice in low light, think around Xmas time trying video of peoples lights outside. Not sure how my Canon HF-S21 would be for night time video as I never tried but I think you get the idea.

Thanks.
I would like to be able to take video of my kids at birthday parties etc - so normal indoor lighting, mainly energy saver bulbs.
Im also looking to get a decent lighting setup at some point for my YouTube review videos etc, as at the moment I aim a lamp at my object, which doesnt yeild the best results - was looking for a lighting umbrella, but a smaller sized one rather then a huge one!

In essence Im looking at standard indoor lighting - at the moment my current camera, although quite good (Canon S95) still produces some grain, especially while shooting video. I also get this with some camcorders Ive tried in the past, hence Im considering a 650D as for the price point I think the lenses will be much better, and give me more flexibility over a camcorder, as well as a better quality. I understand a DSLR is primarily built for photos, although I think they've come leaps and bounds in the video capture market as well now. Been loking at the 650D STM kit, which wouldbe the most I'd be willing to stretch to, budget wise. Video tests seem pretty positive.

On another note, what are the recording limitations on the 650D? Is it around 22mins??

I either go high end and splash out on the 650D, or go lower end with something like a Fuji X10...

Thanks.

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
If you're like me and want just that bit of extra from videos, a DSLR will be perfect. However, most camcorders offer really great video (with not a lot of noise). So if your pure intent is for memories, a normal camcorder should do fine. You don't have the hassle of setting up your DSLR for shooting video.

You could just go to a store, try out camera, and ask if you can connect them to a big screen so you can evaluate the shots. Pick one that you like pricewise, handling and quality of the shots.

Second, I believe the limit on DSLR's is because of taxes: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/0...o-remove-30-minute-limit-from-digital-cameras

So if I understand it correctly, until laws change, no DSLR will shoot longer than 30 minutes.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Does the 650D also shot video up to 30 mins?? I thought I read 22mins somewhere?

Im not too concerned by this as I tend to record shorter clips, which are them edited together etc anyway. I guess 20mins would be my absolute lower limit though.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
To be honest, I'd go with the Canon if it means having the best of both worlds and means it will in time get you thinking about saving those moments for down the road. Also you get a nice still camera, can buy nice glass (again think long term) and if in the end say after a few years it's not your thing, you can get a better resale for your stuff. Though I think after you start you will continue and add along the way.

As for the time limit(s) you can just quickly pause and start again and that then will continue with another 20-30 mins. of video so long as you have room on your cards. Not a big deal for YouTube stuff as you would edit clips together but if you plan on doing say a day seminar then things would be different. I used my D90 when my old camcorder died until I got a new one which is different than you since I spent two years recording seminars and such.

You should be fine with the family stuff and with the right amount of light your YouTube videos will be nice but that's just my two cents.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Many thanks for everyone who contributed to this thread. Much appreciated.

Ive pretty much decided on the Canon 650d with the STM lens kit. The video AF isnt the fastest out there, but for my needs it should be fine.

Will look for an external mic (preferably a stereo lapel mic) soon after the camera, and some appropriate soft lighting.

Was thinking about the video recording time limit - 20 mins or so clips should be fine for my needs as they will be edited together anyway, but if it becomes a burden I assume I could use the HDMI output to connect to a BlackMagic Intensity Extreme, and then Thunderbolt into my Mac? Would this work??
Probably would ever need to do it, but just keeping options open!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.