Camera remote doesn't support video recording

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by elemenohme, Apr 24, 2015.

1. elemenohme macrumors member

Someone asked in another one of the threads if the camera remote app on the watch allows you to record video.

It doesn't :(

If you switch to video on the iPhone's camera app, the watch displays a message that says "Video not supported. Switch to Photo."

[​IMG]

I found that if I disregarded that message and hit the record button on the iPhone, the watch then displayed "Video capture in progress." with a button reading "End Video".

[​IMG]

So you can stop a video recording with the watch app, but you can't start one.

2. bball2 macrumors newbie

That's too bad... I was hoping to use the watch to both start and stop video capture and avoid having to edit afterwards.

Thanks for the info though!

3. elemenohme thread starter macrumors member

I'm hoping that other app makers realize this would be a useful feature. Maybe the folks at Filmic Pro will build a remote app - that's something I'd use!

4. pietrociao macrumors member

Did you guys find any alternative. Do you know about any app that does that from a secondary iOS device? Ii'm trying to capture some slow motion footage of hummingbirds, a remote START STOP video recording would be very helpful.

5. elemenohme thread starter macrumors member

Haven't found any alternatives. I suspect this may be a limitation of the current APIs that developers have for Watch apps. There are lots of things that Apple's apps can do that 3rd-party apps can't... yet.

6. james948 macrumors 6502

Old thread but ios3 you see a faded view of the video feed behind the "video capture in progress." Very odd that it shows you this but won't allow you to see the whole video.

7. MarcoLive macrumors newbie

MarcoLive

I've found Camera Plus.
    Very good app to use with iPhone/AW or iPad/iPhone.
    Camera Plus: For The Best Macro Photos & Remote Photography di Global Delight Technologies Pvt. Ltd
    https://appsto.re/it/aE6Tt.i

8. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Interesting. Probably a bandwidth limitation on video over Bluetooth.?

Gotta admire Apple's attention to detail, if that's the case. Lesser manufacturers would just show you a sh***ty, jerky, pixelated video feed, but Apple puts an ultra soft-focus, 'frosted glass', filter on their feed so that it looks nice.

9. elemenohme thread starter macrumors member

10. rockyromero macrumors 6502

rockyromero