Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elemenohme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Someone asked in another one of the threads if the camera remote app on the watch allows you to record video.

It doesn't :(

If you switch to video on the iPhone's camera app, the watch displays a message that says "Video not supported. Switch to Photo."

wLkhCaK.jpg

I found that if I disregarded that message and hit the record button on the iPhone, the watch then displayed "Video capture in progress." with a button reading "End Video".

8PFPhhp.jpg

So you can stop a video recording with the watch app, but you can't start one.

bball2

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
That's too bad... I was hoping to use the watch to both start and stop video capture and avoid having to edit afterwards.

Thanks for the info though!

elemenohme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
I'm hoping that other app makers realize this would be a useful feature. Maybe the folks at Filmic Pro will build a remote app - that's something I'd use!

pietrociao

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2013
Did you guys find any alternative. Do you know about any app that does that from a secondary iOS device? Ii'm trying to capture some slow motion footage of hummingbirds, a remote START STOP video recording would be very helpful.

elemenohme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Did you guys find any alternative. Do you know about any app that does that from a secondary iOS device? Ii'm trying to capture some slow motion footage of hummingbirds, a remote START STOP video recording would be very helpful.
Haven't found any alternatives. I suspect this may be a limitation of the current APIs that developers have for Watch apps. There are lots of things that Apple's apps can do that 3rd-party apps can't... yet.

james948

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2004
Old thread but ios3 you see a faded view of the video feed behind the "video capture in progress." Very odd that it shows you this but won't allow you to see the whole video.

Reactions: Arran

MarcoLive

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2015
Italy

I've found Camera Plus.
Very good app to use with iPhone/AW or iPad/iPhone.
Camera Plus: For The Best Macro Photos & Remote Photography di Global Delight Technologies Pvt. Ltd
https://appsto.re/it/aE6Tt.i

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Old thread but ios3 you see a faded view of the video feed behind the "video capture in progress." Very odd that it shows you this but won't allow you to see the whole video.
Interesting. Probably a bandwidth limitation on video over Bluetooth.?

Gotta admire Apple's attention to detail, if that's the case. Lesser manufacturers would just show you a sh***ty, jerky, pixelated video feed, but Apple puts an ultra soft-focus, 'frosted glass', filter on their feed so that it looks nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.