Camera Review Site - Help

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by twiggy0, Oct 26, 2011.

1. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

Hey everyone, so basically I started a Camera Review site because I've gathered up a lot of knowledge about it the past few years and wanted to share it with the world.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what I could do to get people interested, and any improvements I could do.

It just started but I wanted advice to see what direction I should take it to.

Thanks in advance!

The site is: www.CameraStep.com

2. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I don't mean to be harsh but I think you really need to think of making your site different from all the other sites out there. Why would someone go to your site when they can go to well established sites like DPreview? Your explanations for the cameras are too short and matter of fact, you say the Canon 60D is a 'mid range professional' camera whereas you say the 7D is a 'low end professional' I thought an SLR was either professional or not? Is a Nikon D700 a professional camera? I would put a lot more thought and content into your site before launching it, and really think about how your site can be different from all the others out there. Good luck.

3. twiggy0, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

twiggy0 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for your response Ashman.

Most of the site layout is just to get a start on ideas I have for the site. I will definitely input all your information. Hopefully in a month or so I'll have something close to what you just described.

Do you think making video reviews of each camera would help?

Thanks in advance!

4. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

This could be an amazon review site as they seem to be your reseller of choice. But, that would be tragic to your website as Amazon have reviews for these products already. In fact, tonnes of them.

If I look for a review of a camera, I dont look at one site but I think I would pay more attention to a site that has reviews from many owners. Amazon got this nailed.

I wouldnt suggest to not do it, but you'll need to offer something else. Perhaps a video review app for the iPad would work better than a website.

5. twiggy0 thread starter macrumors 6502

I do like your fitshaced, but coding on an iPad is a whole other ball game for me. I was thinking of making short, but somewhat detailed and comprehensive reviews on cameras, and also include videos to accompany them. Most Amazon reviews don't include videos.

6. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Well whatever you do, I believe you have to include some opinion(s) for each product. Listing the specs isnt really what people need.

7. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

yeah I was thinking if anyone that starts a new review site in this game.. it should be more of a blog. You have DPreview, Cameralabs.com, photo.net, etc.

Most of your magazines will review a product. A product that they actually have, or have access too. I would be more inclined to read a review from someone who has written books or has some web presence as a pro photographer who uses the cameras on a regular basis. Like Jarid Polin and Todd Owyoung who shoots professionally and occasionally will report/review their findings in the gear. I like Todd's reviews because he shoots concerts. He will compare 3rd party lenses with Nikkor. etc. Check out his review of D7000.

http://ishootshows.com/