Camera Roll and metadata

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by iRaynor SK, Apr 26, 2016.

1. iRaynor SK macrumors regular

iRaynor SK

Hello,

is here a way how to save pictures from app to Camera Roll without loosing metadata?

Since iOS 8, my metadata are completely gone when I transfer photos from app like FileBrowser to Camera Roll.

2. now i see it macrumors 65816

Use the app: Transmit
    Meta data stays intact.

Transmit by Panic, Inc.
    https://appsto.re/us/IPUR2.i

You don't get thumbnails browsing though.

3. iRaynor SK thread starter macrumors regular

iRaynor SK

Thanks. I have already Transmit so I tested it and it works :)

But is strange to use FTP client to manage in-device photos :-D Apple should fix it, I hate that metadata autoremoving feature :-(

4. now i see it macrumors 65816

It's a FileBrowser app bug. I contacted the developer yesterday and they are taking a look at it. Since Transmit isn't stripping metadata, it isn't an iOS thing. Though automatic renaming of files once they get in Photos app is a photos app "feature".

5. Stratospherix Paul macrumors newbie

Stratospherix Paul

There are a few ways to transfer photos to the Camera Roll using FileBrowser. If you choose the 'Share Image...' option from the FileBrowser image viewer, this will strip the metadata. Choose the 'Share File...' option from the file list menu button and the metadata will be preserved OK. Alternatively, use the multi file select feature to copy several files in one go to the Camera Roll and metadata will also be transferred OK. The image viewer share option bug is now on the to-fix list, thanks!