Camera Roll in 8.1?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by psac, Sep 25, 2014.

1. psac, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

psac macrumors 6502a

psac

Did anyone who downloaded 8.0.1 see if it brought back the Camera Roll (in addition to making the phone useless)?

I really hate not having the Camera Roll. Does anyone actually like the new model? It seems to be pretty unanimous.

Thanks

2. Shawzborne macrumors 6502a

Shawzborne

No there will never be another "camera roll"

----------

There is nothing wrong with the photos app it works perfectly fine

3. Cobold, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

Cobold macrumors member

Cobold

There has never been a version 8.1 yet.
    Only an 8.0.1, witch means a bugfix-release to 8.0 (like 8.0.2, 8.0.3, 8.0.x).
    8.1 will be a feature-adding release sometime in the future.

And no: no camera roll in 8.0.1, witch I have still installed on iPhone 5s and iPad Air.

4. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

5. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

LOL, stating your opinion as facts.

I wound't say the Camera Roll is "never" coming back, in case you don't know, there are some flaws with the Photos.app

For example, if you download a photo from the web, after a month it will disappear from Recently Added, then, to find it in photos tab it's so annoying, because it will be placed the day the metadata says it was taken, you would have to scroll thru 3000 photos just to find it.

And please don't tell me to create a folder, in fact, that could be one of the changes Apple makes, create an automatic folder for photos downloaded from the web.

So don't tell me it's perfect.

6. adrianlondon macrumors 6502a

adrianlondon

I have 8.0.1 and no, there are no changes at all to the way photos are stored. It's still crap.

7. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

I'll be interested to see if Apple permit a third party developer to knock up an app mimicking the old Camera Roll.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

1 minor fringe use case.

Camera roll or photos app. If you take a photo, then take 3,000 more... Youll have to scroll through them in either system to get back to the original you want.

Except with photos tab, they toss some date and location breaks inline to help you narrow down your search.

Its an overall better system.

9. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

Where did the photos go that were in the Camera roll? My phone is still syncing from yesterday's fiasco.

10. big samm macrumors 65816

big samm

Its weird when I go in settings general about I see 124 photo but when I go to the photo app I see 79 pics, why is that? Anyone with the same problem?

11. Shawzborne macrumors 6502a

Shawzborne

It's already been done

MyRoll: Smart Camera Roll Organizer by Flayvr Media Ltd.
    https://appsto.re/ca/Z1tLE.i

12. Dino F macrumors 68030

Dino F

....apparently there's one on the App Store already.

Somebody mentioned this on one of the numerous 'Where is Camera Roll in iOS8' threads so can't now remember where I saw this originally. Think its called 'Rollit' or something like that?!?!

13. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Much prefer the new system and will like it even more as iCloud Photos is integrated across the Mac and PC.

There's a search feature if you are looking for a specific photo....

At least now I don't have the same photos taking up double the space being in my camera roll and photo stream. And now all my photos are synced and stored across all my devices so I don't lose anything if I have to restore a device.

Previously, only the last 1000 would be saved unless you synced with a computer.

Not saying there aren't kinks to work out, but the new system is overall a far better solution. Photos was such a mess before iOS 8.

14. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Oooh, that looks interesting. Will have a play with it later.

----------

Rollit lets you upload photos to your iPhone from your computer; the interface is accessed from within iTunes. It's actually very useful if you have a use for it! :)

15. Pared3s macrumors regular

Does anyone have issues with photos that are added via Aperture showing out of order in the recently added folder? There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the ordering of the photos. Also, for some reason the same imported photos can't be favorited.

16. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

No it's not, because you have no idea what the metadata from the photo of the internet says when it was taken.

:rolleyes:

17. psac thread starter macrumors 6502a

psac

Thanks for the tip, downloading now.

18. Razeus macrumors 603

Good riddance to the Camera Roll. The Photos app is MUCH superior.

19. psac thread starter macrumors 6502a

psac

For those who don't use the iCloud photo stream, the camera roll seemed to just work much better. I have no desire to upload my whole photo history to any storage service, no matter how allegedly secure.

20. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Great, thanks for sharing. Now if I could just delete Apple's useless new Photos app from my phone.

21. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I'm with you there. No Photostream for me.

22. bushido Suspended

bushido

bless you, just moved the photo app to the "apple trash" folder

23. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Am I the only one who doesn't get the camera roll debacle? To me it seems like exactly the same thing...

24. Shawzborne macrumors 6502a

Shawzborne

My girlfriend is also one of the my camera roll is gone ppl you aren't the only one

25. tkwolf macrumors 6502

I personally prefer the camera roll over the new photo system.

It makes my stuff much more efficient, and I don't think I need to elaborate more on why. As a medstudent, it is pretty standard to have your camera roll flooded with lots of pictures from lectures, screenshots, and specimen.

I don't remember my pictures by date, I remember them by batch or look on my camera roll. I didn't have to use any other app nor create folders each time, cos it worked fine for me.

Also, I am a wallpaper junkie, so I have a separate folder synced via iTunes and now, my wallpapers mix with my regular "camera roll" pictures. :(