Camera Roll - New Folder

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Peter Franks, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

What is the point of starting a new folder to separate stuff, when I delete from camera roll, it deletes it from the folder I've put it in as well? That's ludicrous.

I want a folder for something but pic was in main camera roll. Once it's in the new folder, obviously I want it out of camera roll, but it says it will delete from everywhere else too, and that includes the new folder I've just moved it to.

Is this right that it says ....

'The photo will also be deleted from an album'....

Why???? Makes no sense

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

This is stock Apple behavior and yes it makes no sense.

Apple sees "folders" or albums as merely pointers to photos already in the camera roll. It's just a shortcut to those pictures, not a real folder or a real album.

Thus if you delete the "pointer" you also delete the original photo in the camera roll.

There is no way you can change this when you're stock, but there are a few tweaks that will allow you to make this function the way you want if you jailbreak.

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for your answer.
    I just wanted to check it wasn't me doing something wrong.

4. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

It's merely more convenient to put pix into Albums for viewing purposes so that you're not hunting thru the entire Camera Roll for pix. Easier to tap an Album to see groupings by topic/date/vacation spot/etc.

I just made an Album for 130 pix that I took at an Aquarium visit on Saturday. Much easier to show others the pix. :)

5. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeh I get that but it would be nice, and more importantly, make sense.... To be able to clean up properly and not have to have them in the camera roll. Also editing/cropping does the same too. Be good to edit one and not the other, which again, you can't do.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... I agree this is a lame design. I once did the same as you. I put a few photos in a folder I wanted to save and deleted them from camera roll and was like"what the heck"!!. There should be an easy way to save some photos outside the camera roll.

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I assume it's a space saving feature as the photos are "labeled" to the user-created folder(s) and aren't duplicated.

So there's no "storage space" reason to delete anything from the camera roll that you want to keep in another folder.

8. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

It's not as easy as it should be but I periodically import the Camera Roll photos to a computer and delete them from the Camera Roll. I then organize them on the computer in folders the way I want to see them on the phone and use iTunes to sync them back. Works for me and keeps the Camera Roll limited to just new pictures that I haven't yet organized.

9. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Camera Roll - New Folder

I'd hazard a guess that people have moaned at Apple for this before. Wonder why they've not addressed it.

The 'collections' and worse still the 'years' viewing options are so pointless, unless you're an ant. It's impossible to see anything in those views, so time would've been better spent with the delete pic in one or other folder ..... Maybe

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

They are essentially labels/groups rather than actual folders.