Camera Roll Tiles -- All Black after 3.0 upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by eme jota ce, Jun 18, 2009.

1. eme jota ce macrumors regular

After updating the iPhone to OS 3.0, my camera roll tiles are all black.

Clicking on a random spot in the black screen shows the actual picture in full size on the screen, but navigating back to camera roll tile view just shows a bunch of black tiles (actually just looks like a solid black screen.

Anyone having this problem?

Anyone have a solution?

EDIT - Further review shows that if I take a new photo (after the 3.0) upgrade, the new tile shows a thumbnail of the photo, but the the pre-update photos just have black thumbnails.

I would be fine just deleting all the photos from the phone, but have already imported them into my mac and don't see a way to delete them after importing anymore.

2. gber macrumors newbie

Check the last picture in each roll to see if that picture is black. If so, delete it.

3. bladerunner88 macrumors member

I have the same thing in the Camera Roll.
    Some tiles have a thumbnail in them and some are just black.
    The albums imported from the Mac are all fine with no Black Tiles

2G upgraded to 3.0

4. truncj macrumors member

I encountered the same issue the day I got my 3GS. I restored my backup from my 2.2.1 phone onto my 3.0 phone and all the camera roll thumbnails were black. Since it was the first day it was out, no one had reported the issue yet, so I decided to settle. I had copied my pictures from the 2.2.1 phone prior to upgrading onto my computer. I deleted the photos from the 3.0 phone and synced with folder on my computer where I backed them up. Correct, my 2.2.1 phone photos are in the library folder instead of camera roll, but on the bright side, all of my photos have the correct thumbnails.

5. catwalk macrumors newbie

fixing iPhone thumbnail black tile

iPhone 2.x keep thumbnail files and picture files into the same directory. iPhone 3.0 separated thumbnail into ".MISC" directory. Your see black icon because of those thumbnail files didn't get convert/move properly during new firmware upgrade. The easiest way to fix this is to use windows software called "uTunePhotos". below is download link.
    http://www.mangaware.com/Download/uTunePhotos/uTunePhotosSetup.zip

after install and run then go to tab "Note/Troubleshooting" then click button "Fix camera roll black icon".

hope this help.

6. nyeates1 macrumors newbie

Listing of new solutions!

I must have spent 2x 8 hour nights on this. It was not quite the solutions found at
    - Apple Forums & iPhone Forums, Mods, Hacks, News, Themes, Downloads, and more! | ModMyi.com
    - http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-ipo...one-3-0-camera-roll-all-black-thumbnails.html

It ended up being that the following dir hierarchy and files are needed:
    Code:
    - /DCIM
      - /.MISC
        - Info.plist
      - /100APPLE
        - /.MISC
          - .BTH and .THM thumbnail files for each photo
        - .JPG files
    Just as important, and not spelt out anywher:
    ALL FILES AND FOLDERS NEED TO BE OWNED BY 'mobile' USER

Ex:
    Code:
    Nicks-iPhone:~/Media/DCIM mobile$ ls -la
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x  4 mobile mobile  136 Aug 27 02:35 ./
    drwxr-xr-x 11 mobile mobile  476 Oct 30 18:40 ../
    drwxr-xr-x  2 mobile mobile  170 Nov 12 00:36 .MISC/
    drwxr-xr-x  3 mobile mobile 6018 Nov 12 00:41 100APPLE/

Nicks-iPhone:~/Media/DCIM/100APPLE mobile$ ls -la
    total 77892
    drwxr-xr-x 3 mobile mobile    6018 Nov 12 00:41 ./
    drwxr-xr-x 4 mobile mobile     136 Aug 27 02:35 ../
    drwxr-xr-x 2 mobile mobile   11900 Nov 12 00:41 .MISC/
    -rw-r--r-- 1 mobile mobile   72622 Mar 13  2009 IMG_0001.JPG
    -rw-r--r-- 1 mobile mobile 2400229 Mar 15  2009 IMG_0002.JPG
    -rw-r--r-- 1 mobile mobile  119552 Mar 19  2009 IMG_0003.JPG
    Use chown as root user, to fix if they are wrong:
    Code:
    chown -v mobile 100APPLE/
    chown -v mobile *

Also, you have to verify that the Info.plist file has the correct # in the XML. If your jpg files goes up to IMG_0103.JPG, you need to reflect this as so in that file:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
            <key>LastFileGroupNumber-100</key>
            <integer>103</integer>
    </dict>
    </plist>

The jpg files that had the root ownerships, were during a certain date range. I think it coincided with my use of the jailbroke-only picture program "Snapture". Maybe the combo of snapture and 3.0 upgrade does it?