Camera Shootout: iPhone 6S+, Galaxy S7, Nexus 6P, Lumia 950

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by tbayrgs, Mar 15, 2016.

1. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Best smartphone cameras: Galaxy S7 vs. iPhone 6s vs. Nexus 6P vs. Lumia 950

After all of the initial reviews and tests, can't say I'm really surprised, nor disagree with the results from this shootout of what are generally considered to be the best available smartphone cameras.

Kudos to all manufacturers for continuing to up their game over the previous iterations of their devices but especially to Samsung for really pushing the bar up high. As an iPhone user, while i'm very content with the camera on the 6s+, I'd admittedly swap out the shooter for the one in the S7 to get that low light performance. Here's hoping Apple ups their game again this fall and that Google continues to push for improvement from their Nexus OEMs.

2. epicrayban, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016

epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

I only skimmed, but the 6P is incredibly impressive. I know this is old news, but it's amazing that we can finally shake the notion that Nexus devices can't have great cameras.

3. tbayrgs thread starter macrumors 603

tbayrgs

It's vastly improved over it's predecessor and very good but I don't think I'd call it incredibly impressive when it lacks OIS. Just imagine how good it might've been had it included that hardware.

4. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

For sure. The Nexus devices have a lot of hurdles to get over in general for me to dump the S7 Edge. We'll see later this year.

5. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

GS7 camera is great, apple didnt really try with the 6S. All they did was up the MP and left everything else the same.
    I wonder how the 7 will be.

6. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

The S7 is the clear winner here. The 6P did well too which surprised me as historically cameras on nexus phones have been lacking.

The Nokia and iPhone 6S plus were about equal.

7. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

Really tempted to replace my 6s+ with that S7. The difference in low light shots is amazing. I wonder how Apple will respond with the 7, if at all.

8. tbayrgs thread starter macrumors 603

tbayrgs

9. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

I'm so happy this article calls out the unfortunate way Apple has the camera settings set up:

The more frustrating aspect of the iOS camera app is that Apple buried almost all the settings when it released iOS 9. If you want to shoot in 4K, or adjust something like the frame rate (for slow motion), you have to leave the app and go all the way through the phone's core settings menu.

This is just stupid, and speaks to a greater problem I have about iOS' settings in general. You're never really sure until you try it where the settings are. Some apps, it's in the app. Other apps, it's in the general OS setting.

Can someone explain to me the logic of having certain camera settings not in the camera app? People probably aren't accessing these settings on the fly very often, but they are camera settings; why aren't they accessible within the camera app?

10. mclld, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016

mclld macrumors 68000

I think iphone has been behind for a couple years, it is killing the techsphere to admit it. You can bet they will be proclaiming Apple better the first chance they get and it will not seem so equal when they do

11. mountain macrumors 6502

mountain

S7 hands down and I think the 6P is the worst of them all in my opinion.