Camera suggestion for 27" iMac?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by edtorious, Sep 30, 2010.

1. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

I would like to take pictures and use it as a wallpaper for my 27" iMac and so the highest resolution is 2560 x 1440. My question is, is there a specific type of camera I should buy and use to get that high resolution? I'm thinking of getting the new Sony Nex but I'm not sure and I can only afford cameras less than $1,000. Sorry for the ignorance, I'm new to the digital photography and I just bought the 27" iMac and loving it! Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :eek:

2. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

curious, how does the picts taken with your iPhone4 look now as wallpaper to you? It's 5.0 Mpixels (2592 x 1936) should meet your needs now.
    I'm trying to save you $$$, buying a camera for iMac 27" wallpaper usage....

3. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Any digital camera with around 4 megapixels or more will provide enough resolution to fill your screen.

However, the number of megapixels advertised on a camera has very little relationship to the overall image quality. This is something that lots of people don't realize.

Do a bit of research online into the "best" rated and reviewed cameras that fit within your budget.

$1000 (assuming USD) will buy you a REALLY nice camera setup. You have a lot of choice available. Choose well!

4. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Presumably OP doesn't just want the camera for wallpapers, lol.

OP, I bought the NEX-3. I've no real interest in becoming a photography buff, but it takes great photos, and is very simple to use. The interface might annoy you if you want to get more into photography, though.

5. edtorious thread starter macrumors 65816

edtorious

So if I want to take pictures that I'd like to use as wallpaper in my 27" iMac, what settings do you use in NEX-3 to get the 2560 x 1440 resolution:confused:

6. edtorious thread starter macrumors 65816

edtorious

I never thought of that, I'm going to give it a try, I'll take some pictures using my iphone and see if I can use those as wallpapers. Now after I take those pictures, is it better to import them using iPhoto or can I just email myself those pics from my iPhone, I just want to make sure iPhone will not downgrade the pics just like the videos. Thanks.

7. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

you have the "free" app iPhoto I assume? plug your iPhone, download into that, and then let the MacOS do the sizing for you when you select via RH click on desktop. Simple no brainer, you are making this too hard, its a Mac not a WinTel machine....

8. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

iMac

For the 27" iMac you might need more resolution.

[​IMG]

This might work, but I make no promises.

9. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Bah! That's so old-school. He'll need:

[​IMG]

For sure.

10. Kyffin macrumors 6502

^ Crikey! Imagine the cost of the memory card capacity that'd need

11. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Buy a real camera my suggestions are.

Nikon d40
    Nikon d40x
    Nikon d50
    Nikon d80

12. NoNameBrand macrumors 6502

You don't really have to do anything on the camera- just about any 5 year old or newer camera is going to shoot with sufficient resolution by default.

To get from camera to Desktop (and this is true of any camera):

Take Photo.

If you use iPhoto: Import picture into iPhoto, select 'Set Desktop' from the 'Share' menu.

If you don't use iPhoto: Get photo onto your Mac. Right-click on the desktop background, select 'Change Desktop Background...', drag an image file from where ever it is on your computer and drop it in the image-well.