Camera suggestion

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mars478, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

I have a Nikon D3000 with 18-55 and 50-200mm lenses. I have the box for all of the stuff that came with the camera. I have barely used it with most likely around 3000 pictures taken (?). I find that it's a bit too large for me to carry around and that it attracts too much attention from people. I'd like to sell this one and maybe get something smaller like the Canon G12.
    http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_g12
    I don't care so much as so far regarding mega pixels but image sensor size and good quality from the images. I need portability and professional features. I like this Canon because it seems to be the perfect mix of the two. I don't want a crappy point and shoot and I'm willing to spend around 500$ (or equivalent to what I sell on eBay)
    Any suggestions?

2. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

I'd probably look at the Sony NEX3 if you're not into high-end video, or the NEX5 if you want good video and can stretch your budget.

Paul

3. Mars478 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mars478

I need decent video. Preferably 1080p but I don't mind 720. I need one all purpose photography device so I can actually take decent pictures instead of using my iPhone 4 :p

4. Mars478 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mars478

What does the Macrumors photography section think of the Canon S95 and the Coolpix P7000 respectively?