Camera to the computer questions.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by GeekOFComedy, Sep 27, 2009.

1. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

I have a Sony DCR-HC22E Mini DV Camera. When I connect it to my macbook pro or Powerbook via the Sony DCRA Deck (Only way to get the firewire) The camera sees that it's DVIN when i plug the cord into my computer but both of my macs don't see it. In system profiler it says no information is found.

Since I do have a Sony Webbie HD that could take over BUT I want to archive some footage off of it and it has a lot better zoom and stablization features.

Choices:

1, Buy a new deck, 60 Euro, And in hope its just the firewire plug
    2, Buy a A/V "CANOPUS ADVC-55 DV CONVERTER ADVC55" for 150 Euro

But will the canopus record in pristine quality the way firewire does

2. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

Why don't you connect the camera directly to the computer by firewire? Your camera should have DV in/out. I just checked. When you do make sure it's on VCR if you want to capture a tape. Then launch your editing program and Final Cut and/or iMovie will automatically detect the camera.

3. xStep macrumors 68000

Page 52 of the user manual suggests your camera has a firewire (i.Link) port on the left side (when pointing away from you) of the camera. The middle port on the dock is the firewire port.

It is possible one of the connectors is messed up, or the firewire cable is bad.

I'd start with the camera off, plug everything in on that side, making sure it is all well connected, then turn on the camera, and lastly plug the firewire cable into your Mac. As an alternative, plug it into the Mac first, and then turn on the camera. Sometimes this kind of action helps.

System Profiler is the right tool to see if the Mac is even seeing the camera. Give the camera a minute to register with the OS.

The Canopus will record poorer quality than firewire does because firewire is actually just copying the video over, while the Canopus is converting the analog signal.

4. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok heres whats happening.

I got my sisters DV Camera and with ONE of the shorter cables it didnt say no info in system profiller and listed the blabber speeds upto 800mbs. Now. With the new cable it says no info. And when i use the supposidly GOOD Small cable with my sony dcr hc22e it still doesn't pick a signal up even though my camera does.

Below I attached a pic of the firewire port on the deck. XD

Attached Files:

5. xStep macrumors 68000

6. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep. We only have DC in, AV/Out, and a lanc port

Also make sure your looking at the 22E manual because i know the DCR-HC21 has a DV port on it.

7. xStep macrumors 68000

Yep. I was looking at the appropriate manual. It couldn't agree if the camera had the port or not.

I wonder if there might be a menu item on the camera to set i.Link up. Also, make sure you are in VCR or PC mode.

It is possible that one of a few things are messed up. The port on the Mac, the cable, the port on the dock, the camera connection to the dock, etc. Diagnosing it may be very difficult.

8. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

When i first imported my video ages ago via PC. I set it to play mode. Then it said DV-in on the camera a few mins later my pc picked it up. I read on the internet that sometimes the firewire port are very sensitive to shorts