Camera vs. 3G iPhone

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zebraman, Jun 4, 2008.

1. zebraman macrumors member

Im 15 and ive been saving up for a while to get a 3G iPhone cause my old iphone got stolen in january. Recently ive been interested in photography and i would like to invest in a camera. Thing is I only have money for either. And since it will be a new hobby im not sure if ill like it and get into it, so i dont wanna spend 500 bucks on a camera im not gonna use... I know its mostly up to me but I wanna hear your input since some of you are experienced with photography and may be more knowledgeable about these type of things.

2. ZapMyPRAM macrumors newbie

Camera and 3G iPhone

Get both for sure.
    For your first camera, I would recommend either the A line or SD line of Canon cameras. The A is a little larger than the SD, but you will find more features than the SD. The A is usually a little cheaper than the SD. The SD is very compact. You will find yourself sticking it in your pocket or bag all the time and taking it with you everywhere - just like the iPhone.
    Expect to pay only $170 to 250 for this first camera. I just ordered an SD1000 for $169 from Costco. Look for the models that are being replaced and closed out for the best deals. Features are added and models are revamped all the time. You can save a lot of $$ by not going for the latest models and features.
    We don't know the resolution of the new iPhone's camera. It will probably be an improvement over the existing model, though will never replace a real digital camera like the A or SD. You might find yourself using the iPhone for fast, casual photos of family and friends, and whip out the Canon for better quality shots on vacation or at the prom or other times when you want quality photos.
    Check out steve's digicams for excellent reviews and tests of all the popular makes and models.
    After getting your feet wet with one of these, and after you get the photography bug, you might find yourself looking at digital SLRs like the Canon Rebel or Nikon D series, where you will spend between $600 and $1,000 to start.
    Good luck.

3. asphyxiafeeling macrumors regular

asphyxiafeeling

now, i'm a novice in photography as well, but i think:

if you want, you can probably just get the iphone. that 2mp camera seems incredible to me (i have a sidekick LX, the iphone's camera puts my outdated 1.3MP to shame). maybe you can just creep around with your phone, taking pictures and getting into it that way. then if you decide it's your thing, you can go for a Nikkon D40/ Canon whatever-it's-called.

4. zebraman thread starter macrumors member

Well im not interested in the iPhone for the camera. I just really want it. (Kinda need it cause my 1st gen 2GB nano is full). Now i have about 500 dollars so i can spend 200-300 on ipod or camera cause i dont NEED the phone. But thanks for your help.

5. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Are you looking at dSLR or P&S cameras? I don't think $500 will even buy you a low end Canon/Nikon kit, not to mention any accessories/books you might want.

6. zebraman thread starter macrumors member

I just want good camera thats good for starters. Nothing too extravagant