Camera will not work over internet (Port Fwd and DDNS Problems?) w/Apple Router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thomamon, Dec 4, 2013.

1. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I am having a major problem with a new camera I bought to watch on my dog when we are away from home for the day. I have it working over the network fine, but I can not get it to come up over the internet while I am not home.

I believe I have the Port Forwarding and DDNS set up correctly, but some some reason it will not come up. I put in the address into the web browser as suggested to see if the website would come up, but it does not. It is:

tomdyn.dlinkddns.com

In Airport I have set everything I believe I am suppose to.

Under Internet Options I have the DDNS info set up with the host name and user/pw. I have re-entered them to make sure they are correct and I get the same result.

Under Network, Port Settings I have the forwarded Port set up as well.

I have the IP Address set up from the camera along with the public and private tcp ports set.

I have reread the instructions over and over. I have a link to the directions set below in cause you care to take a look. they are not the exact settings for the Apple Router, but you get what you need here.

Does anyone have any clue what I could have set wrong here?

Thanks!

2. priitv8, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013

priitv8 macrumors 68020

The DynDNS setup on AirPort routers is a PITA. It won't do with simple username/password. You'd be better off with another device taking care of DynDNS updates. In my case it's the D-Link NAS. But you can use DDNS updater on any computer as well.
    See bullet #5 under Setup Your Dynamic Global Hostname in the AirPort or Time Capsule here (you can ignore the wide area bonjour part before that!):
    http://dyn.com/support/airport-time-capsule-with-dynamic-dns/

PS to confirm it's the DDNS at fault with your setup, just type your public IP address into your browser!

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Seems like your web address should be tomdyn.dlinkddns.com:xxxxx where xxxxx is the port number.