Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doth

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
Is there any way to access the Camera Roll on iOS 8?

I had a few hundred photos on my iPhone when I upgraded, I know I should have deleted them prior. I backed them up so they wouldn't be lost, but I left them on the phone. Sometimes I like to leave a few of my son on the phone and go through the cameral roll when I have a few moments. I just never assumed it wouldn't be possible.

When going into photos, I see "recently added", but it isn't everything in the cameral roll. When accessing photos using third party apps, I can see the camera roll, but I can't delete from there.

Thanks in Advance.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
The Camera Roll folder was integrated into the main photo library with iOS 8.0.

It's a stupid change that was done for no reason and it added no functionality by removing this folder. You CAN see all the photos in the "Photos" tab but there's no way to look at just the photos you took on the phone.

This is being reversed in iOS 8.1 thankfully.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Go to the Photos tab at the bottom (instead of Albums) and you should see all your photos.

The Camera Roll album should be back in iOS 8.1 when it comes out.

Doth

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
Thanks guys, that is good news. Not sure when iOS 8.1 is coming out, but I do l like being able to sort through them at my leisure.

I don't see the cameral roll under the photos tab, C DM

corlando465

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
So glad to hear that they are adding it back next update! You'd think they would check with random users regarding daily task before making such changes....

Doth

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
Its a minor issue, and really the only one I have with iOS 8.

Overall, I think iOS 8 was well thought out and a very useful upgrade. In fact, I think it is just as exciting as the larger screens, but maybe less exciting than Apple Pay. IMHO

I can't wait to see how it integrates into Yosemite with Handoffs, Hotspots, and call forwarding. I am very happy with the direction that Apple is heading.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks guys, that is good news. Not sure when iOS 8.1 is coming out, but I do l like being able to sort through them at my leisure.

I don't see the cameral roll under the photos tab, C DM
There is no camera roll under the Photos tab, but all your photos should be available there.

Shrek1970

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2010
Australia
I am on 8.1 beta 2 and camera roll is back ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413384123.162086.jpg

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
When I first upgraded to iOS 8 a few weeks ago I absolutely hated not having the Camera Roll but the Moments and Collections have kinda grown on me.

When they do add Camera Roll back, I hope that it includes all the old pictures from my Camera Roll (i.e. from my old phone) plus adds the pics that I have taken on my new phone. In other words, when they add it back I hope they integrate everything!

Doth

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
When I first upgraded to iOS 8 a few weeks ago I absolutely hated not having the Camera Roll but the Moments and Collections have kinda grown on me.

When they do add Camera Roll back, I hope that it includes all the old pictures from my Camera Roll (i.e. from my old phone) plus adds the pics that I have taken on my new phone. In other words, when they add it back I hope they integrate everything!

I am so glad to hear it is coming back.

LadyTonya, they photos are still there. When I open Instagram or other Apps, they still show in "Camera Roll".

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I am so glad to hear it is coming back.

LadyTonya, they photos are still there. When I open Instagram or other Apps, they still show in "Camera Roll".

I know they are still there, I just hope that they are back in the Camera Roll automatically when we get 8.1 for everyone!

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I know they are still there, I just hope that they are back in the Camera Roll automatically when we get 8.1 for everyone!

for sure they will Camera Roll is just a fancy way of saying all the photos saved on the phone regardless if they were saved from en email, safari, taken with the phone, part of an itunes backup, synced from computer etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.