Cameras Ordered for iPod Touch? Another Case Design

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 6, 2009.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

TechCrunch now claims that they too have heard evidence that the next generation iPod Touch will have a built in video camera.
    The rumor that the iPod Touch would get a camera first appeared in May from HardMac. The rumor, however, now makes more sense since the introduction of the iPhone 3GS which features video as a major new feature. When Apple does update the new iPod Touch, it seems likely that they will also upgrade the device to the more powerful processor and graphics chips that were introduced in the iPhone 3GS.

Meanwhile, TheAppleLounge points to another 3rd generation iPod Touch case design at DealExtreme which again shows off a centrally mounted camera hole:

[​IMG]

The next generation iPod Touch is expected to be released in September.

Article Link: Cameras Ordered for iPod Touch? Another Case Design

2. buckyballs macrumors regular

I'm going to don my skeptic hat.

I don't think Apple would have sent the designs to the case manufacturers early enough for cases to be finished already ( > 2 months before expected announcement)

3. retroneo macrumors 6502a

4. talkingfuture macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

I'd like to see the new iPod nano and Touch have GPS. Not for navigating or mapping applications, but as a replacement for Nike+. I could go biking, hiking or running and download what I've done at the end of the day. That would be cool. Nike+ is great if you're running in Nike shoes but not so great if you do other sports or wear other trainers.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Lanyard loops.

A lot of silicon cases have them though I don't know why, nobody uses lanyard anymore.

6. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

I'm really doubting these. Something just isn't right.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

They do look off-centre but it's because the earphone jack is on the bottom next to the connector. It's wider on one side so that it doesn't cover the headphone jack.

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

We've seen external re-designs before because of new cases being sold...

and it wouldn't surprise me if the iPod touch got a camera.

9. zedsdead macrumors 68040

These case are consistant with the rumors. I have no doubts that the iPod Touch will get the same camera and features that is in the iPhone 3GS. I also feel the iPod Nano is getting a camera, however it may only be for stills.

10. DELLsFan macrumors 6502a

DELLsFan

Meh ... unless Kevin Rose leaks it, it isn't happening. :D

11. McShizzel macrumors regular

I'm going to wait till they have multi-core processors.

12. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i hope that the touch does get a video camera, and updated hardware. makes sense to me

13. Padraig macrumors 6502a

Great; not alone can't i bring my phone into my gym, I won't be able to bring in any future iPods* also.:mad:

*Refusing to buy the new style shuffle.

14. A.Fairhead macrumors member

I say fake.

In addition, I can't help but feel it's a bad design idea to hang such an expensive piece of hardware around your neck without anything preventing the device from falling out of the front. I have a similar case for my first generation iPhone, and while it holds the phone, the edges do get quite weak if you continually remove / apply it.

Unless that's just what these cases look like in photographs, nothing really seems to be lined up right (all of the holes seem slanted …) and the inconsistent colour of the inside-back of the device doesn't do much in the way of convincing me of it being authentic :p

Then again, this could all simply be due to the flexible nature of the case and it's all perfectly legitimate. :rolleyes:

15. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

I'm not going to state my thoughts on whether or not they'll get a camera, but I will say that IF they do, it won't be like this case. It'll be just like the iPhone's camera location. I doubt anyone would dispute that...

16. Pugpuppydude macrumors regular

Awesome! Thank you for the Chinese and their inability to understand apples reps telling them they can't leak!!

17. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

The holes are also inside a shallow indentation. It could be that a metal or hard plastic manufacturer logo will be clipped in here and fixated through the holes.

I'm disputing that. There are several other differences in design between the Touch and the iPhone (most notably the back material). In addition, the Touch is extremely tapered and thin. It's quite possble that there is not enough room to put the camera in the same position as it is in the iPhone.

18. Shookster macrumors regular

Why?

19. dambrosir macrumors newbie

Camera placement

The camera on the iphone is in the corner. It appears on the iPod touch to be in the center. Why?
    I tend not to believe these images they tend to be fake or mock ups.
    I will just wait until apple makes an announcement.

20. gGGg macrumors newbie

Probably beacuse in the corner of the iPod touch there is the Wi-Fi antenna

21. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It's some POS Chinese silicone case - nothing ever lines up.

Have you considered how thin the iPod touch is? It's amazingly thin. And, if I recall, the wireless antenna is on the upper right side, thus blocking the spot where the camera would be unless they move the antenna. They easily could but a center-placed camera would be best.

22. Wilkinsons macrumors newbie

If the new version get a GPS, how would i work without the assistance of a telephone network, i.e. A-GPS version?

23. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

They would have to purchase the rights to maintain offline maps from Google.

24. Wilkinsons macrumors newbie

True, but I was actually thinking about the fact that A-GPS isn't the same as a "normal" Tom-Tom GPS since they need (according to wiki):

"An A-GPS receiver can address these problems in several ways, using network elements such as either an assistance server or other data from a network. That assistance generally falls into two categories: a) information used to more quickly acquire satellites, or b) calculations done remotely:"

So, if the incorporate a GPS, will it be a A-GPS or something more fancy? OR will they need, at least some contact with a working wlan network to work fluently... which of course will not happen in a moving car for example.

25. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I've always said that the iPod Touch really should be an "iPhone without a phone."

Yes, a lot of people call it that, but I mean it literally. GPS, camera...everything.

Apple hasn't agreed with me so far, so I'm not saying this case is real. But it would be nice.